Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is awarded to the winner of the domestic T20 cricket championship in India on an annual basis. Organized by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), this championship is only open for the teams from the Ranji Trophy. The current champion of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is Mumbai, which beat Himachal in the finals.
The first season of this trophy was played in 2006-2007 and was won by Tamil Nadu, which is also the most successful team in this tournament. We have shared further information about the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, its history, and its format here.
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy - Overview
The 15th edition of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy was played from 11th October 2022 to 5th November 2022. This domestic T20 championship is played among the Ranji Trophy teams. Inaugurated in 2006-2007 by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), the Syed Mustak Ali Trophy was initially known as Inter-State T20 Championship.
Thirty-eight teams compete with each other to win the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 championship. Mumbai won the 2022-23 season of the championship by defeating Himachal in the final match. Here, we have shared an overview of this domestic T20 championship.
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Winner 2022-23
Ranji Trophy teams
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Winner 2022
In 2022, the 15th edition of the Syed Mustak Ali Trophy (SMAT) was played from 11th October 2022 to 5th November 2022. Each year, 38 teams play this T20 championship to establish themselves as worthy winner. This year, Mumbai won the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 trophy by beating Himachal Pradesh by three wickets.
With a gigantic win, Mumbai proclaimed itself as a maiden winner in the championship. Here, we have shared some of the highlights from the SMAT finals.
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2022 Highlights
- Mumbai won against Himachal Pradesh in the SMAT finals in Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
- This was Mumbai’s maiden win in the Syed Mustak Ali Trophy.
- Himachal Pradesh was batting first in the final match.
- Himachal scored 143/8 in 20 overs, and Ekant Sen claimed the top score of 37 off 29 balls for the Himachal Pradesh team.
- Mumbai team chased the target score in 19.3 overs with only 3 wickets gone.
- Mumbai’s Tanush Kotian claimed 3 wickets, which further strengthened the chances of Mumbai’s win against Himachal in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2022-23.
About Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Back when it was launched, there were 27 teams divided into 5 zones, and winners and runner-ups from each zone qualified for the knockout stage. The rules have pretty much stayed the same, just the number of teams has increased to 38 in the year 2018-19. The zonal system has recently been abolished, and the 38 teams are now divided into five Elite groups.
Syed Mustak Ali Trophy - Format
Each Elite group consists of six teams, and there’s a Plate group that includes eight teams. The group winners and runner-ups qualify for the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy final round called ‘Super League’. Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy schedules the same number of matches for all 38 teams, and the top teams from both Elite and Plate groups enter the knockout stage.
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy - Teams
The current teams of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy are – Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Baroda, Bengal, Bihar, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Gujrat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Hyderabad, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Mumbai, Nagaland, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Railways, Rajasthan, Saurashtra, Services, Sikkim, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Vidarbha.
Syed Mustak Ali Trophy - History
Launched in the year 2006-07, the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is a domestic T20 cricket tournament held every year. Named after former Indian test cricketer Syed Mushtaq Ali, the SMAT championship is organized by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Rohit Sharma scored the first-ever T20 century in SMAT.
Cricket is more than just a sport in India – it is more like a festival that brings us closer despite our age, religion, and caste. Each moment in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is important for both players and viewers. The Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, which is played over a period of a month, brings much happiness for all cricket fans in India.
List of Team Participated in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
There are almost 38 Teams represent Syed Mushtaq Ali Tournament Every Year
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Winners List 2006 to 2023
Find below which team won on which year and who is there runner up team
|2016/17||East Zone||Central Zone|
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy - Top Players
Just like every year, the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2022 has brought forward several players who have displayed amazing performances. Let’s take a look at the top 5 players who have performed with sheer brilliance and smashed the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy points table.
- Tanmay Agarwal (Hyderabad) - Tanmay Agarwal is the first opener of the Hyderabad cricket team as well as the leading scorer in SMAT 2021. He played 7 innings in total, scored 334 runs along with a strike rate of 148.4. His highest score was 97 in this tournament.
- Ashwin Hebbar (Andhra) - Despite playing only 5 matches, this impressive opening batsman from Andhra became the fourth-highest run-scorer of SMAT 2021. He became the best among all the batters and maintained consistency of 80% throughout the tournament.
- Sheldon Jackson (Saurashtra) - Sheldon Jackson is one such player who only gets better each year. He is now Saurashtra’s best player who has played 6 innings and has managed to score 271 runs in total.
- Vijay Shankar (Tamil Nadu) - Vijay Shankar is from the finalist team Tamil Nadu. Even though he is not the most militant player on the team, it’s his consistency that makes him stand out. Vijay played 6 innings and scored 199 runs in total with a strike rate of 130.9.
- Deepak Hooda (Rajasthan) - Deepak Hooda has been impressive almost since the beginning of his career, and even in 2021, he did not disappoint. He became the second-highest run-getter of SMAT 2021 by scoring 294 runs just by playing 6 innings.
Cricket is the most-watched sport for Indians as it is enjoyed by fans of all age groups. Just like other cricket tournaments, the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy not only brings up new talents every year but also brings so many cricket fans under one roof.
FAQs on Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
Q1. What is Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy?
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is a T20 championship played domestically by Indian Ranji Trophy teams. The Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is organized annually by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). It was inaugurated in 2006-2007 and to date, 15 editions of the championship have been played.
Q2. Who won Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2022-23?
Team Mumbai was the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Winner 2022-23. Mumbai won against Himachal Pradesh in the final match conducted in Eden Gardens, Kolkata. Chasing a target of 143 in 19.3 overs, Mumbai won its maiden Syed Mustak Ali Trophy title in the 15th edition of the championship.
Q3. When was Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy inaugurated?
Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy was inaugurated in 2006-2007 by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). It was previously known as the Inter-State T20 Championship. Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 is played between 38 teams each year, and 15 editions of the championship have been played to date.
Q4. Why is it called Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy?
The Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 championship was named after Syed Mushtaq Ali, a renowned former Indian Test player. The trophy was named after this brilliant player to give his achievements some worthy recognition.