A bowler getting about 10 wickets in an innings is a fantastic win and is considered a record in world cricket. It is also relatively rare to see a cricketer achieve this feat. However, this feat has been achieved almost 83 times by 77 players, including when rules of cricket were not formal enough and when catches during the match were not recognized as wickets.
Edmund Hinkley was the first cricketer to take 10 wickets in an innings, but the scores were not formalized enough to consider this a record. Cricketers like Tich Freeman have been known to do it thrice, and Hedley Verity, W.G. Grace, and Jim Laker have achieved 10 wickets in an innings twice. Anil Kumble and Ajaz Patel are also famous as bowlers for taking 10 wickets in an innings.
Bowlers Who Took 10 Wickets in an Innings
The most recent player to achieve this record-breaking feat was Ajaz Patel from New Zealand's cricket team. The match occurred at the Wankhade Stadium, where New Zealand played against the Indian cricket team.
- Ajaz, a native of Mumbai, became a prominent part of history by becoming the third bowler in the world who took 10 wickets in an innings.
- Jim Laker, a former cricketer from the English cricket team, is considered the first to have achieved 10 wickets in an innings.
- When Laker created this world record, almost 9 Australian players could not even cross the 2-digit mark in the number of runs.
- The former captain of the Indian cricket team, Mr. Anil Kumble, was the second cricketer in the world to take 10 wickets in an innings.
- The match was against Pakistan. Pakistan made 74 runs, whereas India made about 212 runs.
Top 3 Bowlers took 10 Wickets in an Innings
The mentioned accomplishment is rare and achieved by very few players worldwide. The below list contains the names of the cricketers who took 10 wickets in an inning:
Bowlers who took 10 Wickets In An Innings
List of Bowlers Who Took 10 Wickets in a Single Innings
Given below are the bowlers who took 10 wickets in the innings. Check out their team, the number of overs they bowled, and against which team they played.
Bowlers who Took 10 Wickets in an Innings
Player name and Team
JC Laker, England
A Kumble, India
AY Patel, New Zealand
Former England cricketer Jim Laker was the first to earn this accomplishment. Jim laker took 10 wickets in an innings in 1956 against Australia. Laker was the one who took 10 wickets in an innings with 9 out of 11 Aussie batters who failed to cross the single-digit mark.
Anil Kumble is also an Indian player who took 10 wickets in an innings. Forty-three years later, after Jim Laker, former India captain Anil Kumble also stands on the list of bowlers who took 10 wickets in an innings.
- He took the title while playing against Pakistan at the Feroz Shah Kotla (now known as Arun Jaitley Stadium).
- He returned with figures of 10/74 as India reported 212 runs to win over the arch-rivals.
Ajaz Patel of New Zealand became the third player to take all 10 wickets in an innings. The left-arm weaved a web around India's batting order, allowing 119 runs in 47.5 overs.
- On the second day of the second Test at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, New Zealand bowled India for 325 runs.
- On his 'homecoming,' Mumbai-born Patel, whose parents relocated to New Zealand in 1996, had a fantastic run as he clinched all of India's wickets, creating an unbelievable personal milestone and bringing his team back into the game.
- Taking 10 wickets in an innings is a fantastic feat, and you should remember the names of the three players who are a part of the club.
Top 10 Highest Wicket Takers in Test Match [Two Innings]
Check out the 10 players taking a minimum of 15 wickets in a single Test match. Out of the total cricketers, 7 belong to England, and 2 belong to India. All of these are considered to be the highest wicket-taker in a test match in two innings.
Highest wicket-taker in two innings
Jim Laker (Eng), 1956
S Barnes (Eng), 1913
N Hirwani (Ind), 1988
B Massie (Aus), 1972
Muralitharan (SL), 1998
J Briggs (Eng), 1889
G Lohmann (Eng), 1896
C Blythe (Eng), 1907
H Verity (Eng), 1934
R Hadlee (NZ), 1985
FAQs on 10 Wickets in an Innings
Q.1 Who became the third bowler to take 10 wickets in an innings?
In 2021, Mumbai-born New Zealand spinner Ajaz Patel, with his sensational bowling, took all ten wickets in the second Test match against India. By doing this, he became the third bowler in history to take all 10 wickets in a Test match.
Q.2 Against which team did Ajaz Patel take his 10 wickets in an innings?
The cricketer belongs to the New Zealand team. India, where Ajaz Patel took his 10 wickets in an innings, was the opposite. Ajaz Patel, spinner of New Zealand, became the third bowler in Test history to take 10 wickets in an innings in his birth city of Mumbai.
Q.3 Who took 10 wickets in an inning in 1999?
Indian leg-spinner Anil Kumble from the Indian Cricket team took 10 wickets in an innings on February 7, 1999. He was able to carve his name in history by taking 10 wickets in an innings in a Test match against Pakistan.
Q.4 Which country did Jim Laker play for?
Jim Laker played for the England cricket team. Also known as James Charles Laker (February 9 1922 – April 23, 1986), he was an English experienced cricketer who played for Surrey County Cricket Club from 1946 to 1959. He represented England in 46 Test matches.
Q.5 Which bowlers took 10 Wickets in an Innings?
Jim Laker, Anil Kumble, and Ajaz Patel are the three cricketers who took 10 wickets in an innings in a test match. The stunt got achieved in 1956, 1999, and 2021 respectively. Anil Kumble holds the record for getting 10 wickets in a single inning of a test match. He took 56 wickets in Sharjah Cricket Stadium.