Common Admission Test or CAT is a computer-based entrance test conducted every year by the IIMs for the aspirants who desire to get selected in the top-B schools of India. The test mainly comprises of three sections – Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, and Logical Reasoning. CAT score plays an important role in the selection procedure for getting admissions into the IIMs. Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISC) also use CAT for admission to their management programmes.
Overview Of CAT Exam
The CAT 2022 exam was conducted in three sessions of 2 hours each, CAT 2023 is expected to follow the same exam pattern however, official exam dates are yet to be released for 2023. Candidates aspiring to appear for the CAT exam 2023 need to know complete details about the CAT exam to score well in this exam. The table below contains complete details about the CAAT exam:
Indian Institute of Management
Computer Based Test (CBT)
Yes (-1 per incorrect response)
CAT Eligibility Criteria
In CAT 2021, there was a slight change in the eligibility criteria. The CAT committee has removed the minimum percentage of marks for CAT 2021. Also, the candidates in the final year of their Graduation Degree with “promotion/pass” instead of “award of marks” certificates in any of the last two years of the Bachelor’s Programme can enter the “Promotion or Pass” option in the application form. In CAT 2022 no change was seen in the eligibility criteria and it is expected to be the same for CAT 2023. The eligibility criteria according to CAT 2022 is given below.
There is no age limit
Not Mandatory but fetches weightage as per the duration of experience
Required Marks in Graduation
50%(General), 45%(SC/ ST/ PWD)
- Candidates should have completed their Graduation Degree with at least 50% marks (General Category) and 45% marks (Schedule Caste, Schedule Tribe and PWD)
- Final year students who have completed their degree requirements and are waiting for their results are also eligible.
- Students with a professional degree are also eligible (CA/CS/ICWA/Fellow of the Institute of Actuaries of India (FIAI)
- There is no age limit for the candidates to apply for the CAT exam.
CAT Exam Pattern- Overview
The candidates aspiring to take the CAT 2023 exam must know the CAT exam pattern so that they can prepare well. Given below is an overview of the CAT exam pattern:
|Particulars||CAT 2023 (Expected)||CAT 2022||CAT 2021||CAT 2020||CAT 2019|
|Exam Duration||2 hours||2 hours||2 hours||2 hours||3 hour|
|*Sectional Duration||40 minutes every section||40 minutes every section||40 minutes every section||40 minutes each section||60 minutes each section|
|Number of Questions in VARC||24-26||24||24||26||34|
|Number of Qs in QA||22-26||22||22||26||34|
|Number of Qs in DILR||20-24||20||20||24||32|
|Medium of Exam||Online|
*Note: PWD candidates will get 53 minutes and 20 seconds for each section
- Section wise time limit- 40 minutes (tentative)
Marking Scheme is given below:
- +3 marks for every correct answer
- -1 marks for every incorrect answer
- 0 marks for not attempted questions
* CAT 2023 Exam Pattern is tentative and is based on past year’s exam pattern
CAT Marking Scheme
The candidates will be marked in the CAT exam as per the following marking scheme:
Topic-Wise Weightage of Each Section Over the Years
|Topics||CAT 2022||CAT 2021||CAT 2020||CAT 2019|
|Odd One Out||2||2||2||3|
Geometry & Mensuration
Number of Sets in PYQP 2017-22
Reasoning Based DI
Matrix and Grid
Scheduling and Matrix
Unconventional and Hybrid Games and Tournament
Order and ranking
Logic Based Table
Routes and Networks
Arithmetic Based DI
Application Fees For CAT
The application fees for the CAT 2022 exam is given below for reference:
- Rs. 2300 for all other candidates
- Rs. 1150 for SC, ST, PWD category candidates
List Of The Documents Required For The CAT Exam
- A valid email address and phone number of the candidate
- Marksheets of class 10th and 12th and Graduation (if cleared)
- You must have valid ID Proof (Aadhaar Card/PAN Card/Voter Card/Passport etc.)
- Candidates will also be required to upload certain documents like passport size photograph, signature, etc. along with their CAT application form
- While scanning the documents, make sure that the document is not less than 150px/inch.
- The signature should be done on the blank page in black ink.
- Photograph and signature must be in jpeg/jpg format and the file size should not extend more than 80kb.
- Excluding General Category candidates, other students need to submit their SC/ST/NC-OBC/EWS and PWD certificates
- Payment can be done through credit card/debit card/net banking system
*The above-mentioned list of documents are subject to change as they are according to the notification of CAT.
CAT Exam Important Key Points
- The CAT 2023 exam is expected to be held on 26th November 2023.
- The test is expected to be conducted in 3 shifts as seen in CAT 2022.
- Every year one of the IIMs conducts the CAT exam. Based on previous year trends it is expected that CAT 2023 exam will be conducted by IIM Lucknow.
BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series: Unlimited Access to ALL Mock Tests
Get BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series
Ace Your CAT Preparation with BYJU'S Exam Prep Free Videos
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App NOW
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT and other MBA Exam, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card
Commentswrite a comment