Religious and tourist places of Madhya Pradesh
Important Religious Places
- It was built by King Ashoka and situated in Raisen district.
- It was discovered by General Taylor in 1818 and was declared a World Heritage Site in 1989.
- It is situated in Satna district and was discovered by Alexander Canningam in 1873.
- It is situated in Chhatarpur district.
- The temple was built by the chandel king in the 10th century under the Nagar architecture.
- In 1986, it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- It is also known as City of Palaces, City of Fishes, City of joy and Karimbagh Nagar.
- Mandu is situated in Dhar district.
- Famous places- Neelkanth Mahal, Dai ka Mahal, Jehangir Darwaja etc.
- It is famous for Pashupatinath temple.
- Ancient names- Dashpur and Indragarh.
- It is situated on the banks of Shipra river and famous Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga Temple.
- It is also known as City of Temples and City of Fairs.
- Famous places- Narmada Ghat, Chaubis Avtar, Siddhanath Temple, Mamleshwar Temple, Markandeya Ashram.
- Ancient Name- Mandhata
- It was established by Queen Ahilyabai.
- Situated on the banks of Narmada river.
- Ancient Name-Mahishmati and Guptkashi
- It is situated on the banks of Betwa river.
- It was established by King Bhoja and constructed Bhojpur Temple there.
- It is also known as Somnath temple of Northern India.
- Cyclopean Dam is situated on Betwa river.
- It is situated in Vindhya mountain ranges and on the banks of Mandakini river.
- Famous places- Hanuman Dhara, Gupt Godavari, Ram Ghat, Janki Kund
- It is situated around 40 kms from Satna district.
- Here Sharda temple is very famous, the statue of Goddess Sharda was situated in Vikram Samvat 559.
- It is situated in Khargone district.
- It is famous for Shiva temple and Jain temples.
- The temple is contemporary to Khajuraho Temple.
- It is situated in Barwani district.
- The statue of first Jain tirthankar, Rishabdev is situated here.
Important Tourist Places
- It is a hill station situated in Hoshangabad district.
- It is the summer capital of Madhya Pradesh and also known as Roof of Madhya Pradesh.
- It is also known as the Capital of Satpura.
- In 1862, it was founded by Captain James Foresith.
- It is situated in Maikal range in Anuppur district.
- Achanakmar bioreserve area is situated in Amarkantak.
- It is situated in Jabalpur district and on the banks of Narmada district.
- It is situated in Raisen district.
- It was discovered by Dr. Vishnudhara Vakharkar in 1957.
- It is situated in Vidisha district.
- It was constructed by Udayaditya (grandson of king Bhoja) in the 4th-5th century.
- It is situated in Dhar district on the banks of Bah river.
- It is related to Buddhism and contemporary of Ajanta caves.
- It was discovered by Denger Field in 1818.
- It was declared a National Monument in 1951.
More from us
Get Unlimited access to 45+ Mock Tests-BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series
Get Unlimited access to Structured Live Courses and Mock Tests- Online Classroom Program
Free Study Notes (Hindi/English)
Monthly Current Affairs Quiz
NCERT Books PDF (Hindi/English)
Daily, Monthly, Yearly Current Affairs Digest, Daily Editorial Analysis, Free PDF's & more, Join our Telegram Group Join Now