Daily Current Affairs 08 June 2022
Important News: National
Biotech Startup Exhibition-2022
Why in News:
- The Biotech Startup Exhibition-2022 will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi on June 09.
- Biotech Startup Exhibition-2022 is a two-day event to be held on 09th and 10th June.
- The Biotech Startup Exhibition is being organized by the Department of Biotechnology and Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council (BIRAC).
- The Biotech Startup Exhibition is being organized to commemorate the ten years of the establishment of BIRAC with the theme 'Biotech Startup Innovations: Towards a Self-reliant India'.
- The Biotech Startup Exhibition aims to act as a platform to connect entrepreneurs, investors, industry leaders, scientists, researchers, bio incubators, manufacturers, regulators, government officials, etc.
- This year 300 stalls will be set up at the Biotech Startup Exhibition, showcasing the applications of biotechnology in areas such as healthcare, genomics, biopharma, agriculture, industrial biotechnology, waste to value, and clean energy, among others.
Source: The Hindu
Conference of Vice-Chancellors of Central Universities and Directors of Institutions of National Importance
Why in News:
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the conference of Vice-Chancellors of Central Universities and Directors of Institutions of National Importance at President House.
- This year 35 institutes from India have been included in the quality ranking, out of which six institutes have been included in the top 300 institutes this year.
- The Indian Institute of Science scored a full hundred in research this year, making the Indian Institute of Science at par with eight of the world's most prestigious institutions, including Princeton, Harvard, MIT, and Caltech.
- During the inaugural session, the President presented the Visitor Award for the year 2020 to Professor Mohammad Zahid Ashraf, Department of Biotechnology, Jamia Millia Islamia for his research on hypoxia-induced thrombosis.
- The Visitor Award for Technology Development for the year 2020 was presented to Professor Pritam Deb, Department of Physics, Tezpur University.
- The Visitor's Award for the year 2020 for Research in Physics during the conference will later be presented to Professor Anuneya Samanta, School of Chemistry, University of Hyderabad, who has been recognized for his discovery of short-lived chemical species derived from light excitation of molecular structures. System and Materials. The award will be given for contributions to spectroscopy and dynamics.
Source: Indian Express
DD News Conclave 2022
Why in the news:
- A week-long news conclave is being organized by DD News from June 03 to 11, 2022 to commemorate the completion of eight years of the Central Government under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The theme of this year's DD News Conclave 2022 is 'Aach Saal Modi Sarkar: Sapne Kitne Hue Sakar'.
- The major initiatives of the Central Government, progress made in the last eight years, and the way forward will be discussed during the Conclave with direct interactions with Union Cabinet Ministers as well as panel discussions with experts in the field in the presence of the audience will go a live studio.
- The main objective of DD News Conclave 2022 is to discuss ideas like social empowerment, health for all, infrastructure development, defense indigenization, internal security, and India as Vishwaguru.
Important News: State
Marine Lifeguard Training Program
Why in News:
- The Marine Lifeguard Training Program was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister MK Stalin.
- The main objective of the Marine Life Saving Training Program is to save people from drowning.
- Marine Life Saving Training Program is a statewide training program during which one thousand young fishermen from fourteen coastal districts of the state will be trained to rescue people in distress in the sea or other water bodies.
- A lifeguard is responsible for the safety of people in an area of water, whose priority is to ensure that no harm is caused to users in the area for which they are responsible.
- The coastline of the state of Tamil Nadu is 1076 km, in which there are 608 fishermen settlements in which about 10 lakh 48 thousand people live, so the marine life-saving training program is aimed at protecting the lives of these individuals.
Source: News on Air
Important News: Economy
According to the World Bank, India's economic growth rate for the financial year 2023
Why in News:
- The World Bank has slashed India's economic growth forecast for the financial year 2023 to 7.5 percent, mainly due to rising inflation, supply chain disruptions and geopolitical tensions, etc.
- This is the second time that the World Bank has revised its GDP growth forecast for India in the current fiscal year 2022-23 (April 2022 to March 2023).
- Earlier in April, the World Bank had reduced India's economic growth forecast from 8.7 percent to 8 percent, which has been revised again by the World Bank. At present, according to the World Bank, the economic growth rate is estimated to be 7.5 percent. Is.
- Along with this, according to the World Bank, India's growth rate is estimated to slow down to 7.1 percent in the financial year 2023-24.
- The rise in prices of all commodities from fuel to vegetables and cooking oil pushed wholesale price-based inflation to a record high of 15.08 percent in April and retail inflation to an almost eight-year high of 7.7percent.
Source: Indian Express
- Shreyas Hosur, Deputy FA & CAO, Southwestern Railway has created a record by becoming the first railway officer to complete the tough 'Ironman' triathlon and the first officer from the civil services without a uniform.
- The triathlon event comprised 3.8 km swimming, 180 km cycling, and 42.2 km running, which Shreyas completed in 13 hours 26 minutes in Hamburg, Germany.
- Individuals who complete a triathlon event are known as 'ironmen', corresponding to the mental and physical strength required for the event.
World brain tumor day 2022
- World Brain Tumor Day is observed every year on 8 June with the aim of raising worldwide awareness about brain tumors.
- This year the theme of World Brain Tumor Day 2022 is "Together We Are Stronger".
- In the year 2000, World Brain Tumor Day was declared an International Day of Remembrance by Deutsche Hartentumorhilfe. Currently, World Brain Tumor Day is observed annually on 8 June as a tribute to all brain tumor patients and their families.
- A brain tumor can be simply defined as a massive growth of abnormal cells in the brain, there are different types of brain tumors, some of which are benign or non-cancerous, as well as some malignant or cancerous.
Source: National Health Portal
Drug Destruction Day
- As a part of the prestigious week of "Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav" (AKAM) of the Ministry of Finance to mark the 75th year of India's Independence, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) will be celebrating 'Drugs' on 08th June. 'Destruction Day'.
- Around 42000 kg of narcotics have been destroyed at 14 locations across the country under the Drug Destruction Day.
- On the day of Drug Destruction Day, the Union Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman virtually witnessed the destruction process being organized in Guwahati, Lucknow, Mumbai, Mundra/Kandla, Patna, and Siliguri.