World Milk Day is celebrated on June 1 every year to raise awareness about the benefits of drinking milk. The Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations established this day in 2001. World Milk Day acknowledges the qualities and importance of milk as global food and celebrates the passionate commitment of the dairy sector to feeding humanity.
This is also a day to spread awareness about the challenges in the global production and distribution of milk. In this article, we have shared more about World Milk Day, its objectives, history, and significance
World Milk Day 2023
World Milk Day Organization hosts annual celebrations on June 1 to highlight the achievements and hard work of the dairy industry. This industry is responsible for keeping infants, children, and adults fed with nutritious milk. As Milk Day is about encouraging people to drink milk to stay healthy, it is equally about appreciating the dairy industry.
This day is observed by all United Nations member states, who organize various events to educate the public about the importance of milk. Learn more about World Milk Day from the information shared below.
World Milk Day
June 1 (every year)
FAO, United Nations
World Milk Day 2023 Theme
To raise awareness about the importance of milk and the challenges of the dairy industry
World Milk Day 2023 Theme
World Milk Day Organization annually announces a new theme for June 1. World Milk Day 2023 theme is “Enjoy Dairy”. The organization encourages the participation of people in its annual social media campaigns. The hashtags for this year’s Milk Day campaign are #WorldMilkDay and #EnjoyDairy.
Last year, the theme of World Milk Day 2022 was “Dairy Net-Zero”. This theme showcased the work in progress to expedite climate action and minimize the environmental impact of the dairy industry.
World Milk Day 2022 Theme
The theme of World Milk Day 2022 was “Dairy Net-Zero”. Here are some more details about the theme.
- According to a report by Anand Dairy University, the dairy industry accounts for 2.7 percent of global carbon-dioxide emissions.
- Emissions begin with the production of dairy animal feed and end with the consumption of milk products.
- Fueled by the recent developments towards combating climate change at the global level, World Milk Day emphasizes the role of the industry in achieving humongous climate targets.
- Moreover, Milk Day will encourage sustainable dairy production toward achieving Dairy Net-Zero.
Milk Day Objectives
World Milk Day aims to globally promote the legacy of milk and allied products. It also focuses on highlighting the impact of the dairy industry on the environment. This day was established by the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations in 2001.
- Milk is one dairy product that is required extensively throughout the world.
- Milk Day aims to highlight the importance of milk.
- This day also aims to bring the efforts of the dairy industry to the foreground.
World Milk Day Significance
The significance of Milk Day is acknowledged by all United Nations member states, which celebrate the day annually on June 1. Here are some reasons why this day is considered so important.
- Milk is global food consumed since time immemorial.
- It is a mixture of quintessential major and minor, constituting a healthy and balanced diet.
- According to Food and Agricultural Organisation, around six billion people consume milk in one or another way globally.
- World Milk Day aims to educate people about the high demand and sources of milk.
- This day also wants to highlight the fact that the dairy industry provides livelihood to one billion people.
- Milk is central to food security, nutrition, economic sustenance, and the development of every human.
Milk Day History
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) founded World Milk Day in 2001 to emphasize the importance of milk as a worldwide food and to recognize the dairy sector. It aims to enhance milk awareness and draw attention to milk and the dairy industry.
- Since several countries already had a Milk Day at or near this time, FAO proposed June 1 as the date.
- Initially, they considered late May, but other countries, particularly China, observed that several red-letter days stuff the month.
- While most countries commemorate World Milk Day on June 1, some prefer to celebrate a week before or after.
World Milk Day in India
India, being one of the member states of the United Nations, observed Milk Day every year. India is currently the top milk producer, with over 199 million tonnes produced in 2021 (USDA), making it a responsible global player in World Milk Day. Here are some of the ways how this day is celebrated in India.
- India aces global milk production and is one of the biggest milk-producing countries in the world.
- The theme of World Milk Day 2023 resonates with India’s global commitment to curbing climate change.
- In 2021, India topped the list of countries with the most Milk Day social media activity.
- The Ministry of Health and Welfare ran social media campaigns on various social media profiles with hashtags #WorldMilkDay and #EnjoyDairy.
- To promote the health advantages of dairy products, the government launched a public awareness campaign, A Glass of Goodness.
- The National Dairy Development Board held a Milk & Me photo contest.
How to Celebrate World Milk Day?
Milk is an essential component of a healthy, balanced diet for everyone, and World Milk Day is an excellent opportunity to spread this message to the world. Here are some of the ways in which people celebrate Milk Day every year.
- The day witnesses milk donations to the needy. This activity is primarily carried out by non-governmental organizations.
- On Milk Day, milk brands air TV commercials highlighting the importance of milk.
- People go on farm visits to understand the production of milk.
- Some people also participate in milking demonstrations on World Milk Day.
- On Milk Day, the United Nations and other global organizations hold conferences, seminars, milk day campaigns, fun community events, competitions, etc.
FAQs on World Milk Day
Q1. When is World Milk Day celebrated?
World Milk Day is celebrated every year on June 1. The Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations holds the annual celebration for the day and encourages every member state to participate in Milk Day celebrations.
Q2. Who established World Milk Day?
The Food and Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations established World Milk Day in 2001. Milk Day raises awareness about the importance of milk for humans. This day also talks about the impact of the dairy industry on the environment and ways to reduce the industry’s environmental footprint.
Q3. What is the World Milk Day 2023 theme?
World Milk Day 2023 theme is “Enjoy Dairy”. Every year, the World Milk Day Organization announces a new theme, and social media campaign for the day. This draws attention to Milk Day's objectives and encourages people to participate in the celebrations.
Q4. Why is World Milk Day important?
World Milk Day recognizes the significance of milk as a global food with its magical nutritional benefits. Also, it focuses on the role of the dairy sector in providing livelihood to more than one billion people. Milk Day is celebrated every year on June 1 by United Nations member states.
Q5. How to celebrate World Milk Day?
People celebrate World Milk Day in various ways, such as the following.
- Organize or participate in contests.
- Post dairy farm videos on the internet.
- Understanding the dairy process.