PM’s Development Initiative for North East [PM-DevINE]
By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : May 2, 2022, 7:50
The Government of India recently launched the PM-DevINE Initiative. It is a smaller name for PM Development Initiative for North East Region. The project aims to bring about progress in infrastructure development and accelerate the growth of other social development projects.
The initiative received an initial allocation of Rs. 1500 Crores. The North-East Council will be looking at the implementation of the PM-DevINE project. The council will fund the initiative to build substantial infrastructure that might be needed in the North-East region. Another aim of the project is to provide livelihood opportunities to youth and women.
The PM-DevINE project was announced during the presentation of the Union Budget 2022-23 and is a relatively new concept as it was just added this year. The Prime Minister launched this new scheme, and the finance minister announced the scheme. The primary purpose of the PM-DevINE scheme, or the Prime Minister's Development Initiative for the North East, is to bring about major infrastructural reform in the northeast states.
PM-DevINE - Key Points
- There was a need gap in the north-east when it came to infrastructure, and the PM-DevINE scheme aims at funding all of these infrastructural needs in the spirit of PM GatiShakti
- The primary objective of the PM-DevINE scheme is to improve the infrastructure in the northeast and also to provide a source of livelihood to the women and youth residing in the north-east region
- Also, the PM-DevINE scheme aims at reducing the existing gap between the different sectors of the economy
- The North-Eastern Council will implement the PM-DevINE scheme
- The funding that has been allotted to the scheme is Rs.1500 crores. This is just initial funding. More money will be pumped into the project if needed.
- Also, the projects that will be a part of the scheme can be recommended by the central and the northeast state governments. However, a priority will be given to those projects that the states have recommended as they would better understand the requirements of their provinces.
The Projects under the PM-DevINE Scheme
The state and the central governments have decided on some projects that the North-Eastern Council must take up. Also, the funds have been allocated to these projects based on the requirements. Some of these projects are:
- Construction of the Aizawl Bypass on the Western Side and a budget of Rs. 500 Crores has been allocated to that project
- Construction of Bamboo Link Road in Mizoram to connect different districts and the budget allocated for this project is Rs. 100 Crores.
- Several other projects have been allocated different amounts. About Us. 537 Crores is yet to be allocated to various projects.
- Gap funding for Eco-friendly Ropeway (Cable Car) from Dapper to Bhaleydhunga in South Sikkim with a budget of Rs. 58 Crores.
- Creation of Dedicated Services for the Management of Paediatric and Adult Haemotolymphoid Types of Cancers in North East India, Guwahati with a budget of Rs. 129 Crores.
- North East Centre For Technology Application and Reach (NECTAR) Livelihood Improvement Project with a budget of Rs. 67 Crores.
- Promoting Scientific Organic Agriculture in North East India with a budget of Rs. 45 Crores.
There are different reasons for launching the PM-DevINE scheme. The northeastern states have been neglected for a while, and they have not received the attention they deserve. Also, these states have been economically ignored, a result of which the states have poor infrastructure. The PM-DevINE scheme attempts to make these states stronger in terms of infrastructure.
FAQs on PM-DevINE Scheme
Q.1. Which agency will be implementing the PM-DevINE scheme?
The North-Eastern Council will be implementing the PM-DevINE Scheme.
Q.2. In which year was the PM-DevINE scheme launched?
The PM-DevINE scheme was launched in 2022 during the presentation of the union budget.
Q.3. What is the primary purpose of the PM-DevINE initiative?
The primary purpose of the PM-DevINE initiative is to strengthen the infrastructure of northeastern states.
Q.4. What has the initial budget been allocated to the PM-DevINE scheme?
A budget of Rs. One thousand five hundred crores have been allocated to the PM-DevINE scheme.
Q.5. Which region of India will benefit from the PM-DevINE initiative?
The northeast states will benefit from the PM-DevINE initiative.