National Women's day was an event that started in 1956 in South Africa. Every year, the 9th of August is witnessed as a public holiday to mark the protest against violence against women. However, internationally, women's day is observed on the 9th of March every year, but National women's day in India is celebrated annually on the 13th of February.
When is National Women's Day in India?
Every year, on the birth anniversary of the political activist and poet Sarojini Naidu, National Women's Day in India is observed on the 13th of February.
This day holds a lot of significance for every Indian citizen, especially women, for whose civil rights this day stands as a testimonial.
Some interesting facts about Sarojini Naidu:-
- Sarojini Naidu played a pivotal role during India's struggle for independence from colonial rule.
- She was known as the 'Nightingale of India' or 'Bharat Kokila' because of her poems on romance, patriotism, and tragedy.
- National women's day of India is observed on her birthday to mark the social, cultural, political, and economic achievements of women in India.
- Naidu was a woman with strong conviction. She became the first woman governor of the United Provinces, which is now the present state of Uttar Pradesh.
- She was elected president of the Indian National Congress in 1925 due to her educational and political abilities.
- She was even sent to jail for 21 months during the Quit India Movement started by Mahatma Gandhi.
- She contributed considerably towards the drafting of the Indian Constitution as well.
- For all her bold convictions and strong personality, she is a woman icon and a hero figure for millions of women across the length and breadth of the nation.
- National women's day date was hence decided to be recognized on the 13th of February, which stands as the birth date of Sarojini Naidu.
Purpose of Celebrating National Women's Day in India
National Women's Day commemorates a woman's success in every field and aims to raise awareness against gender bias. This year, on the 13th of February 2022, the country will celebrate National Women's Day , yet another time to mark the 143rd birth anniversary of the legendary Sarojini Naidu.
The theme for women's day in 2021 was 'Choose to Challenge.' It signified that change comes when you triumph through challenging situations in life. What better way to understand and implement this ideology than challenging and fighting the present Covid-19 pandemic by adapting to considerable change in our lifestyle and other underlying factors.
How do Women Celebrate National Women's Day in India?
National Women's Day celebrates the achievements of women. Hence, to celebrate this occasion, women in India undertake different kinds of activities like:
- Recognizing a local woman-owned organization.
- Raising funds for a women's charity.
- Watching a movie together with a strong woman led to a bold character.
- Learning about famous and inspirational women.
- Reaching out to women who have brought about a difference in one's life.
Women have conquered various arenas of success in almost every genre/field, including business, sports, fashion, etc. An embodiment of beauty, grace, elegance, and compassion, the world would not be the same without recognizing the achievements of one of the most beautiful creations of God through National Women's Day .
FAQs about National Women's Day
Why did Women's Day start in India?
Women day in India was started to honour the literary contributions of Sarojini Naidu
Who Created Women's Day?
Clara Zetkin suggested having an international women's day in 1910 at an International Conference of Working Women in Copenhagen.
Is it a national holiday on National Women's Day in India?
No, National Women's Day in India is not a National holiday.
When International Women's Day is Celebrated?
Every Year 8th March is Celebrated as International Women's Day