National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) and Indian Dairy Association (IDA) announced the first National Milk Day on 26 November 2014, in honor of Dr. Verghese Kurien, whose birth anniversary falls on the same day. Dr. Kurien was the father of the White Revolution in India and introduced ‘Operation Flood,’ under which dairy production was industrialized to improve milk production in the country. On National Milk Day, Dr. Kurien’s efforts are remembered, and people are educated about milk's health benefits and nutritional value.
Dr. Kurien revolutionized the dairy industry in India; now, it is the biggest self-sustaining industry in the country, contributing 5.3% value to the country’s total GDP. He also established the widely recognized milk brand, Amul. Learn more about Milk Day, its theme, history, and significance here.
National Milk Day 2022
Milk is a powerful source of numerous nutrients, vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium. It is also widely available and accessible throughout the nation. To spread awareness about the importance of milk consumption, and its benefits, the NDDB and IDA established National Milk Day. Find out more about this day below:
National Milk Day
26 November every year
National Dairy Development Board and Indian Dairy Association
To honor Dr. Verghese Kurien and educate people about the importance of milk
The reason why Milk Day is celebrated on 26 November is that on this day, the man who revolutionized the Indian dairy industry, Dr. Verghese Kurien, was born. He identified the potential of the dairy industry in the country and, through dedicated operations, managed to transform the entire industry.
National Milk Day 2022 Theme
Although many important events are planned around a particular theme, the same cannot be said for National Milk Day. There is no set theme for this day, and the celebration and events revolve around the general importance of milk consumption. All those who celebrate India National Milk Day pay tribute to the father of the White Revolution, Dr. Verghese Kurien.
What was the White Revolution?
Dr. Verghese Kurien brought the White Revolution to India to improve the overall milk production in the country. An important part of the revolution was ‘Operation Flood,’ which was aimed at supporting the farmers to price the milk produced fairly. Some important points about the revolution are given below:
- During the White revolution, the farmers working at the ground level were made in charge of milk production and sale, resulting in better-functioning dairy industry.
- The increase in rural income subsequently resulted in increasing the GDP.
- By 2016, India became the world’s largest milk producer.
National Milk Day - Benefits of Milk
National Milk Day is the time to celebrate and honor the humble cow and everything it does for us. It is believed that cows give us more than just milk. Here are some of the benefits of milk:
- Kids and adults can drink milk as it helps keep their teeth healthy and prevent cavities.
- It also increases their height, strength, and immunity power.
- Milk contains essential fats that are required for developing babies too.
- Milk is an excellent energy source
- Due to its high-energy property, milk is often recommended for people who have just undergone surgery or those suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome or anemia.
History of Milk Day in India
India faced many issues related to the availability of milk and production. After the initiative spearheaded by Dr. Verghese Kurien went live by the name of ‘Operation Flood,’ the country turned into the largest milk producer in the world. National Milk Day is observed every year in India on 26 November to pay tribute to his efforts.
Although milk has been an essential part of Indian cuisine for thousands of years and is a staple food for many Indians, milk consumption is declining in the country. NDDB has been promoting the importance of milk and its products since 1966, and events such as Milk Day have helped amplify the importance of milk consumption.
Significance of National Milk Day
Touted as a complete food, milk is rich in protein, carbohydrates, and minerals. It is digested easily by the body and has countless health benefits. Regular milk consumption keeps the body fit and healthy and helps build strong bones and teeth. In India, National Milk Day is celebrated because:
- Tens of millions of people die each year from poor nutrition.
- Experts say that the best way to ensure good food and improve health is by consuming milk and milk products.
- Proper nutrition can help prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease, osteoporosis, and cancer.
- Milk contains essential vitamins like A, B12, D, and E and minerals such as calcium and phosphorous.
- Milk has natural sugars (lactose) that help promote strong teeth and gums.
- Milk Day emphasizes the importance of consuming milk to tackle health problems.
Celebration of Milk Day in India
Milk Day in India is celebrated on 26 November every year. Here are some of the popular observances on this day:
- Children and adults are encouraged to increase their milk consumption for better health on this day.
- The NDDB also organizes various events such as health camps, school-level competitions, and awareness campaigns.
- National milk day activities include a special "Milk Mela" event organized by NDDB and other organizations to spread awareness about a healthy diet through milk consumption and its products.
- Milk also improves concentration levels at work or school since it helps in increasing blood flow to brain cells and thus enhances memory power.
FAQs about National Milk Day
Q1. What is National Milk Day?
National Milk Day is a day dedicated to spreading awareness about the importance of milk consumption and honoring Dr. Verghese Kurien, who transformed the dairy industry in India.
Q2. When is National Milk Day celebrated?
National Milk Day is celebrated on 26 November in India every year. This day marks the birth anniversary of Dr. Verghese Kurien, who founded the brand, Amul, and revolutionized the milk industry in India.
Q3. Why is National Milk Day celebrated?
National Milk day is celebrated because Dr. Verghese Kurien, the person who introduced the ‘Operation Flood’ and White Revolution, was born on that day. On this day, people are encouraged to consume more milk products.
Q4. What is the National Milk Day theme 2022?
There is no specific theme for National Milk Day 2022. Unlike World Milk Day, the National Dairy Development Board and Indian Dairy Association do not set any theme for Milk Day in India.
Q5. Who is called the Father of the White Revolution?
Dr. Verghese Kurien is the face behind the movement and initiated the White Revolution in India. To honor his work of transforming the Indian dairy industry, 26 November is celebrated as National Milk Day in India.