The total number of districts of Arunachal Pradesh is 26. The newest districts of the state are Shi Yomi and Lepa-Rada, which were both formed in 2018. Since then, no other district has been added to the state. A Deputy Commissioner belonging to the Indian Administrative Service is responsible for governing the district of Arunachal Pradesh.
There are demands to form new districts in the state. We have shared the names of all the existing Arunachal Pradesh districts, along with information about the proposed districts, and the history of the districts of the state here.
How Many Districts in Arunachal Pradesh
There are 26 districts in Arunachal Pradesh. Arunachal Pradesh was given the status of a Union Territory in 1972 and on 20 February 1987, it was announced as a full-fledged state of India. There have been demands to constitute new districts in the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
To look after the law and order in the districts of Arunachal Pradesh, a Deputy Commissioner or a District Magistrate are appointed by the government. Additionally, a Superintendent of Police helps the DM to look after the administrative affair of the Arunachal Pradesh districts.
Arunachal Pradesh District List
Here, we have shared the names of the Arunachal Pradesh districts, along with information about their year of formation, the area that they cover, and the total population residing in the districts. Check out the details of the districts of Arunachal Pradesh below -
| || |
| || ||2018|
Lower Dibang Valley
Proposal for New Arunachal Pradesh Districts
There is a proposal for forming new districts in Arunachal Pradesh. We have shared the information about the proposed Arunachal Pradesh districts here
- There is a proposal to bifurcate the existing district of Papum Pare district into Sagalee district.
- In 2017, there was a proposal to bifurcate the existing district of Changlang to form a new Rima district.
- There is a demand for the formation of a new Hayuliang district from the existing Arunachal Pradesh districts of Anjaw and Lohit.
- People are demanding the formation of the North Subansiri district from the existing 3 districts of Kurung Kumey, Kra Daadi and Upper Subansiri.
History of Districts of Arunachal Pradesh
The history of the Arunachal Pradesh districts is quite interesting. Here, we have shared information about the history of many of the districts of Arunachal Pradesh
- On 23 November 1994, the Upper Siang district was formed.
- In 2001, the Kurung Kumey district was formed and the Dibang Valley district was bifurcated into Dibang Valley and Lower Dibang Valley.
- On 16 February 2004, Anjaw district was formed.
- On 19 March 2012, Longding district was carved from Tirap district.
- On 25 November 2014, the Namsai district of Arunachal Pradesh was created.
- In 2015, the Siang and Kra Daadi districts were created.
- In 2017, the new Arunachal Pradesh districts of Kamle and Lower Siang were established.
- On 30 August 2018, the 3 new districts of Shi Yomi, Lepa-Rada and Pakke-Kesand were formed.
FAQs on Districts of Arunachal Pradesh
Q1. How many districts are there in Arunachal Pradesh 2023?
As of 2023, there are 26 districts in Arunachal Pradesh. The names of the Arunachal Pradesh districts are Anjaw, Kra Daadi, Namsai, East Kameng, Lohit, Longding, Tawang, Siang, Itanagar, West Kameng, Papum Pare, Upper Subansiri, Lower Subansiri, Dibang Valley, and others.
Q2. Which are the three largest districts of Arunachal Pradesh?
Based on area, the three largest districts of Arunachal Pradesh are Dibang Valley and Kurung Kumey. Here are the details about the area that these Arunachal Pradesh districts cover
Dibang Valley - 9,129 square kilometres.
Kurung Kumey - 8,818 square kilometres.
West Siang - 8,325 square kilometres.
Q3. Which are the newest Arunachal Pradesh districts?
The newest districts of Arunachal Pradesh are Shi Yomi and Lepa-Rada. Both these districts were added to the state in 2018. Since then, no other districts have been added to the state. However, there is a widespread demand for creating new districts in Arunachal Pradesh.
Q4. Which are the new proposed districts of Arunachal Pradesh?
There are several proposed Arunachal Pradesh districts. The new proposed districts of Arunachal Pradesh are as follows
- Sagalee district
- Rima district
- North Subansiri
- Hayuliang district
Q5. Where can I find the list of districts of Arunachal Pradesh?
We have shared the list of districts of Chhatisgarh here. You can check out the names of all 33 Chhatisgarh districts along with further information about them. Find out the details about the total area covered by each district of Chhatisgarh, its total population, etc.