Dogs are a human's best friend in terms of loyalty and faithfulness. They play a pivotal role in adding colour to our lives and an element of fun and happiness to our homes. International Dog day is celebrated to mark the contributions of dogs in bringing about a positive change in the lives of people all across the length and breadth of the globe.
Hence, International Dog Day is celebrated every year on 26 August to encourage more and more people to adopt dogs instead of buying them from a pet shop.
Highlights About International Dog Day 2022
International dog day was founded by Animal Welfare Advocate and Pet Lifestyle Expert Collen Paige.
- It was founded in 2004 when, at age 10, Collen's family adopted a dog for the first time.
- Celebrating International Dog Day aims to encourage people to take good care of dogs as they deserve a good life.
- It celebrates all dogs, irrespective of their breed, size, and shape.
International Dog Day [26th August]
Every year in August, International Dog day is celebrated. The day is special because it lets us identify the total number of dogs that need to be saved annually.
- It doesn't matter how rich or poor you are; how you treat street dogs or animals showcases your humble behaviour towards these creatures.
- 26 August was International Dog Day 2021 Date. Dogs are precious as we can treat them just as our family members, keep them in our homes, and get attached too soon.
- International Dog Day should be celebrated just as all the other memorable days of the year to mark the importance of these animals in our lives.
Story Behind International Dog Day
The day was started by Colleen Paige, Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert, Author, Conservationist, Dog Trainer, and Animal Rescue Advocate, in 2004.
- National Cat Day, National Mutt Day, National Puppy Day, and many more holidays are founded by Colleen.
- His aim was to bring awareness to the significance of animals worldwide and motivate people to adopt such creatures.
- He chose 26 August as the date because his family adopted "Sheltie", their first dog when he was 10 years old, from the nearby animal shelter.
Ways to Celebrate International Dog Day
Whether you own a dog or not, you can still make the day special for all the dogs. You can feed them good food, play around with them, and provide a proper shelter. The best ways to celebrate International Dog Day are:
- By adopting and sheltering or rescuing a dog and giving them a good life
- If you already own a dog, you can take them for a walk and even treat them with a holistic spa or arrange a pet play date.
- By purchasing a personalized T-shirt for yourself and your dog and wearing it on the day together to mark its significance
- You can contribute by donating to a dog shelter home in your area.
- Another idea for celebrating International Dog Day is by watching a dog movie. One of the most popular is Old Yeller, which is an American film, depicting an emotional bond between humans and their dog best friends.
- Some other films you can watch are Heart Of A Dog, Isle Of Dogs, Lady And The Tramp, Lassie Come Home, The Incredible Journey, etc.
Amazing Facts about International Dog Day
The International Dog Day 2021 in India was celebrated with full enthusiasm and affection. It is a day to inspire individuals to adopt dogs instead of buying them from stores. Here you will read about some astonishing facts related to dogs.
- African Hunting Dog is the most flourishing hunter globally, holding the Guinness World Record.
- The world's oldest dog breed is Salukis in the Guinness World Record, which has existed since 329 BC.
- Dogs are born with three eyelids. The last one is a transparent or translucent lid known as haw, a nictitating membrane used for protection and lubrication.
- Around 30% of Dalmatians are unable to hear from one ear.
Latest International Dog Day 2021 Quotes and Wishes
If you are a dog lover, you must check out International dog day 2021 quotes and wishes below. The quotes have been given by famous personalities depending on their personal experience of keeping dogs.
- "Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Agnes Sligh Turnbull.
- "Happiness is a warm puppy." - Charles M. Schulz.
- "Dogs should not have to lose their lives because of the atrocities they have been forced to endure at the hands of man." - Colleen Paige.
- "The only evolved creatures to convey pure love are dogs and infants." - Johnny Depp.
- "Dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me, they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner.
- Dogs are better than human beings because they know but do not tell. Happy International Dog Day!
- A cute dog can make it a good day for you when you are sad or have had a bad and tiring day. Happy International Dog Day!
- Dogs are wise. They crawl away into a quiet corner, lick their wounds, and do not rejoin the world until they are whole. Happy International Dog Day!
FAQs on International Dog Day
Q1. Why is International Dog Day celebrated?
International Dog Day is celebrated to galvanize the public to identify and realize the number of dogs that need to be rescued and provided with a good life.
Q2. Who founded International Dog Day?
International Dog Day was founded by Collen Paige, a conservationist, dog trainer, and author. He was an animal welfare advocate and a pet lifestyle expert. He found this day on August 26 2004, as it was the day when his family adopted a dog named Sheltie when Collen was merely ten years old.
Q3. What is the significance of International Dog Day?
International Dog Day is observed all across the globe to create awareness and highlight the fact that hundreds of these furry animals need to be rescued and sheltered by local authorities, especially those that are homeless and are often abused, poisoned, and even killed brutally. It highlights the problems these canines face and raises consciousness that these speechless innocent creatures need love, care and attention, and a right to lead a good life.
Q4. Is national and international dog day celebrated on the same day?
National and International Dog Day are celebrated on the same day, i.e., August 26 every year. Both days are encouraged everywhere to urge people to take better care of dogs as they deserve a good life.
Q5.When is International Dog Day?
Annually, International Dog Day is celebrated on August 26. The day honours all the street and family dogs that work selflessly to protect our lives. Dogs are treated special on their day, irrespective of their breed.
Q6. How to celebrate International Dog Day in India?
Most Indians nowadays love to keep dogs as their pets. During International Dog Day, you can take them for a long walk in a nice place, host a date for your pet, cook a special dog feast, or donate vital things to any nearby animal shelter.