Read about the Highest Peaks in India, their location, and their importance. Incidentally, India has many mountain ranges spread over the country's length and breadth. The list seems endless, from the majestic Himalayas to Aravallis, Nilgiris, Satpura, Eastern Ghats, and the Western Ghats.
So, which is the highest mountain peak in India? To find the answer, you'd have to visit the Himalayas since the mighty Himalayas boast of the highest mountain peaks in India and some of the world's highest peaks. This article gives you a ready reckoner of the top 10 Highest Peaks in India.
Top 10 Highest Mountain Peaks in India
India is home to natural topography, mountains, valleys, and the Himalayas. We will elaborate on the Highest Peak of the Himalayas in India. Read further to know more information, and check out the list of the top 10 highest mountain peaks in India:
Biggest Mountain in India
Height (in meters and feet)
8,586 meters/28,169 feet
7,816 meters/25,643 feet
7,756 meters/25,446 feet
7,742 meters/25,400 feet
7,672 meters/25,170 feet
Mamostong Kangri Peak
7,516 m (24,659 ft)
7,385 m (24,229 ft)
7,151 m (23,461 ft)
7,138 m (23,419 ft)
7,120 m (23,360 ft)
Highest Peak in India - Complete Details
Let's explore India's highest mountain peaks in more detail.
At 8,586 meters or 28,169 feet, Kangchenjunga or Kanchenjunga, which is the Highest Mountain in India, is located in Sikkim and is the highest mountain peak in (Mainland) India.
- Along with being the Highest Peak of Himalaya in India, it is also the World's third-highest mountain.
- Kangchenjunga's literal meaning is 'The Five Treasures of Snows.'
- The five treasures are gold, silver, grain, gems, and holy books.
- Kangchenjunga is situated close to the Nepal-India border.
- Kangchenjunga was believed to be the World's tallest mountain until 1852.
- However, great deliberations on the records of the Great Trigonometrical Survey of India in 1849 proved Mount Everest is the World's tallest mountain.
Nanda Devi (Uttarakhand)
At 7,816 meters or 25,643 feet, Nanda Devi is India's second-highest mountain peak. Unlike Kangchenjunga, which lies on the Indo-Nepal border, Nanda Devi is entirely situated inside Indian territory. As a result, Nanda Devi is the World's 23rd highest mountain peak.
- Nanda Devi means 'Bliss-Giving Goddess'.
- Locals from the Garhwal and Kumaon Himalayas consider Nanda Devi, their patron goddess.
- In 1988, UNESCO declared the Nanda Devi National Park surrounding Nanda Devi as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Kamet Peak (Uttarakhand)
At 7,756 meters or 25,446 feet, Kamet Peak is the third-highest mountain peak in India. It is a part of the Zaskar mountain range and is situated in the Chamoli District of the Garhwal Himalayas.
- The peak is close to Tibet and surrounded by other mighty peaks like Mukut Parbat, Abi Gamin, and Mana Peak.
- Due to its location, Kamet is not easily accessible by trekkers and climbers.
- The terrain is treacherous and carries tremendous avalanche risks.
Saltoro Kangri (Jammu & Kashmir)
At 7,7,42 meters or 25,400 feet, Saltoro Kangri is the fourth-highest mountain peak in India. Saltoro Kangri is also the tallest mountain in the Saltoro Mountains subrange of the Karakoram.
- The Saltoro Kangri mountain range has two peaks—Saltoro Kangri I in the South and Saltoro Kangri II.
- Saltoro Kangri is situated on the border of Indian-controlled Siachen and the Pakistan-controlled region west of the Saltoro range.
- Saltoro hosts some of the World's longest glaciers.
Saser Kangri (Jammu & Kashmir)
At 7,672 meters or 25,170 feet, Saser Kangri is the fifth-highest mountain peak in India. It is a part of Saser Muztagh in the Karakoram range and lies within the territory of Ladakh.
- Saser Kangri is recognized for its five magnificent summits and picturesque views.
Mamostong Kangri Peak
Mamostong Kangri mountain peak is the 6th Highest Mountain In India, holding a height of 7,516 m (24,659 ft). It is situated close to the Siachen Glacier.
- It comes at the 48th position for the highest peak in World.
- Mamostong holds the highest summit in the sub-ranges of Rimo Mustagh of the Great Karakoram range.
- This mountain peak is located in Jammu & Kashmir.
Rimo is a portion of the prominent Karakoram ranges that enhances the northern side of Rimo Muztagh. The Rimo contains four mountain peaks, and Rimo I is considered the tallest.
- Karakoram Pass, considered the crucial trade route in central Asia, is situated northeast of the Rimo Mountains.
- This mountain peak is 7,385 m (24,229 ft) above sea level and is included as part of the Siachen Glacier.
- The location of this seventh highest peak in India in Jammu & Kashmir.
Hardeol Mountain Peak is situated in the Pithoragarh district of Uttarakhand and occupies the eighth position on the list of the Highest Mountain in India.
- The mountain peak provides elegance to the Milam valley in Uttarakhand.
- Hardeol is known as the Temple of God.
- It is one of the most famous summits in the Kumaon Himalaya.
- The height of Hardeol is 7,151 m (23,461 ft), is discovered in the northern parts of the Kumaon Sanctuary, and touches the Nanda Devi at the borders.
The ninth Highest Mountain in India is Chankamba Peak. It is a part of the Gangotri group, located in the Garhwal Himalaya region of Uttarakhand.
- The Gangotri Group includes four peaks, with Chaukhamba having the highest position among them.
- Chaukamba is named so because of the arrangement of the four peaks, so close to each other.
- The mountain peak is elevated at 7,138 m (23,419 ft), while the lowest is at 6,854 m (22,487 ft).
The last one on the list of Highest Peak in India is Trisul, containing three peaks: Trisul I, Trisul II, and Trisul III.
- One of the three mountain peaks comprises a specific group of summits situated in the mountainous regions of Kumaon in Uttarakhand state.
- The highest mountain peak, Trisul 1, has a height of 7,120 meters.
- The three peaks got their recognition from the Trishul weapon of Lord Shiva.
- Parts of Trisul Peak are found close to the Nanda Devi sanctuary.
List of Highest Mountain In India - Statewise
Below are the significant mountain peaks in India apart from the top 10 highest peaks in India list. Go through the table and understand various mountain ranges' locations, heights, and more.
Border of Manipur and Nagaland
Border of Telangana and Chhattisgarh
West Champaran District
FAQs on Highest Peak in India
Q.1 Which is the Highest Peak in India?
Kangchenjunga is mainland India's highest mountain peak, elevated at 8,586 meters or 28,169 feet above sea level.
Q.2 Where is India's highest mountain peak located?
India's highest mountain peak, Kangchenjunga, is located in the Sikkim state of India. Kangchenjunga is situated close to the Nepal-India border.
Q.3 Which is the second highest mountain peak in mainland India?
Nanda Devi is the second highest mountain peak in mainland India. This mountain peak is situated inside Indian territory and is the world's 23rd highest mountain peak.
Q.4 Which is the Tallest Mountain in India?
Kangchenjunga, the tallest mountain in India, stands at 8586 m above sea level. It is also called the Five Treasures of Snow. The mountain is the third highest summit in the world.