Henley Passport Index ranks 199 countries based on the ease with which citizens of the countries can access 227 different world destinations. International Air Transport Association (IATA), which stores the most accurate travel information worldwide, provides important data for curating this Index.
India saw an improvement in its ranking in the Q1 Index released in 2022. India now ranks 83rd in the Henley Passport Index, compared to its earlier ranking of 90 in 2021. The improvement in the ranking implies that Indian nationals can now visit 60 countries without having a prior visa approval instead of 58 destinations in the last quarter of 2021. In other words, 60 countries will grant direct entry to Indian nationals by giving them visa-on-arrival or any other similar facility. Indians can now travel to Botswana, Cambodia, El Salvador, Fiji, Indonesia, Madagascar, Myanmar, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Oman, Armenia, and many others without getting a prior Visa.
Henley Passport Index - Overview
Henley Passport Index is considered the most reliable and authoritative indices for gauging the passport ranks. Passport Power Index powered by Arton Capital and Visa Passport Index is another index that provides a similar ranking to passports of the world. Created by the chairman of Henley Partners, Dr Christian H. Kaelin, Henley Index prides itself on using the most accurate data and providing the most accurate Index. Today the Index is updated in real-time, considering the visa changes and updates happening throughout the globe. The research team at Henley Partners authenticates every single detail and verifies every passport with 227 destinations on the list.
The following criterion is used for indexing the passports:
- If no visa is required for a travel destination for a specific passport from a country or a territory, value 1 is assigned to that passport
- Value 1 is also assigned if a passport can get a visa on arrival, permit to visit, or electronic travel authority while entering a country
- IF a passport needs government approved visa, value 0 is allotted to that passport
- Similarly, value 0 is also assigned if a passport holder has to get any government approved or pre-departure document for visa on arrival
- A passport's score is the number of destinations it can get into without a prior visa or government-approved document
Henley Passport Index authenticates every passport for the following conditions:
- Passport is valid as on date and is issued to an adult citizen of the country
- Passport should not be temporary or diplomatic
- Passport holder will stay in the country for a short duration of 3 days to a few months
- The passport holder is not in transit to another airport/country
- Passport holder meets all other essential conditions to enter the country
- Travel should be for tourism or business purpose
- Arrival and departure should be from the same airport
Since its inception in 2005, Henley Passport Index has been the most popular Index over the last 17 years. India has added 35 destinations since 2006, with Oman and Armenia being the latest on the list. Japan and Singapore are at the top of the list in 2022, and their nationals have visa-free access to 192 countries. Germany and South Korea hold the second spot on the Index, while Italy, Finland, Luxemburg, and Spain have the third rank in Henley Passport Index. Afghanistan and Iraq are at the bottom of the list.
FAQs on Henley Passport Index
Q.1) How many countries are on the Henley Passport Index?
199 countries are featured on the Henley Passport Index that ranks them on their ease of travel to 227 destinations of the world.
Q.2) What is India's rank in Henley Passport Index in Q1 2022?
India holds 83rd rank along with Sao Tome and Principe in Central Africa, in the Henley Passport Index released for Q1 of 2022.
Q.3) How many countries allow visas on arrival for Indian citizens?
According to the Henley Passport Index on Q1, 2022, 60 countries grant visas on arrival for Indian citizens without the government's requirement of any prior approval.
Q.4) Which countries hold the 1st rank in Henley Passport Index in 2022?
Japan and Singapore have the 1st rank in Henley Passport Index, and their nationals can travel to 192 destinations without any prior visa approval or government document.