World Computer Literacy Day is observed on 2nd December every year. This day is meant to create awareness while driving digital literacy in underserved communities. It promotes the inculcation of technological skills among women and children.
Computer literacy refers to the level of expertise an individual has in using computers efficiently. Computer literacy skills range from having the basic knowledge about how to use a computer to perform intermediate tasks such as operating software systems, platforms and computer programs, to having an advanced understanding of computer programming.
In the present world, computer literacy might extend to being able to use search engines, social media platforms, and using basic daily-use software like Microsoft Office or Google Suite.
History of Computer Literacy Day
The National Institute of Information Technology celebrated this particular day in 2001, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the establishment. The purpose was to encourage the adoption of digital technologies, particularly by children and women.
Internet users made up 55% of the world population as of June 2018. More specifically, even though Asia carries 55% of the world's population, only 49% use the internet. For comparison, North America has 4.8% of the global population, and 95% use the internet. This disparity is one of the primary reasons why computer literacy is being highlighted.
On the event of Computer Literacy Day, the people of India emphasize the importance of computers in their lives. The day is also meant to create awareness about various issues regarding the digital divide that hampers the spread of digital skills uniformly across the globe. Advocating for global computer literacy, including the comprehension of how computers work, how to program them, and how to use them to build society, is important.
Some Computer Facts
- Charles Babbage invented all the parts that modern computers used in 1833, while the first modern computers were invented 120 years later.
- The first generation computer was invented in 1946. This was the turning point for the technological use of computers.
- In the year 1947, the first keyboard was created. It replaced the old system of punch cards.
- Douglas Engelbert invented the first mouse in 1964 using wood.
- Something that Microsoft, HP, and Apple have in common is that they all started building their computers out of a garage.
- The full form of the term CAPTCHA is 'Completely Automated Public Turing Test to tell Computer and Humans Apart.
World Computer Literacy Day 2021
In 2021, the World Computer Literacy Day theme was 'Literacy for human-centred recovery: Narrowing the digital divide'.
FAQs about Computer Literacy Day
- Which day is celebrated as world computer literacy day?
Ans. 2nd December is celebrated as computer literacy day every year.
- Why is world computer literacy day celebrated?
Ans. Computer literacy Day emphasizes the importance of computer literacy and inspires people worldwide to learn to use the device.
- Why is computer literacy day celebrated in India?
Ans. NIIT founded computer literacy day to mark its 20th anniversary and encourage computer literacy among women and children.