Anti-Drone System is a valuable technology that helps the military deal with aerial threats. Drones are Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) that can collect crucial data unsuspiciously. In India, the first Anti-Drone System was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization to help the Indian Armed Forces intercept and detect enemy drones.
Anti-Drone Systems can also classify and track and jam surveillance and therefore, is of utmost importance to any country’s defense system. In this article, we have shared further information about Anti-Drone Systems in India, their usage, and their significance.
What is the Anti-Drone System?
An Anti-Drone System is a promising technology that allows defense forces to deal with increasing unmanned aerial threats. This effective technology is favorable for providing both Hard Kill and Soft Kill. Here is some important information about the Anti-Drone System.
- When the system sensors of an Anti-Drone System are combined with an AI or machine vision algorithm, it reduces the possibility of false negatives and false positives.
- The need for anti-drone systems has increased with the increase of terror groups' unwanted activities.
- These systems destroy the enemy's drone in the air effortlessly.
- Anti-Drone System is suitable for Hard Kill, a laser-based attack to destroy the enemy drone, as well as Soft Kill, which obstructs the communication of the enemy's drone.
Anti-Drone System in India
In India, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) was the first organization to develop an anti-drone technology. The purpose of this was to protect various regions like critical infrastructure, and public places like airports, battlefields, stadiums, and military installations from the enemy's attacks.
- In 2023, Lt Col Sadanand Chauhan, Indian Army Corps of Signals, developed a new Anti-Drone System in India specifically for the country’s border areas.
- This new counter-drone technology is based on radio frequency.
- It can detect enemy drones and track them as well.
- As the country’s borders are constantly under threat, this new Anti-Drone System can help the army secure the areas.
How Does an Anti-Drone System Work?
Anti-Drone Systems are largely dependent on radio-frequency technology to detect and track Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) such as drones. These devices can also block enemy drones, making it impossible for them to retrieve information. Here is how an Anti-Drone System works.
- Radiofrequency allows the anti-drone device to identify other drones and UAVs.
- To block the enemy drones, the counter drone technology blasts electromagnetic noise.
- This helps to drown any conversation or sensitive information that the enemy drone might be looking for.
Importance of Anti-Drone Systems
Technology plays an important role in warfare these days. Anti-Drone Systems are a part of this technology that is used to either defend or gather information. With the increase of unwanted rival activities and attacks, the need for protection also increases.
Every nation needs intelligent technology that can identify and destroy aerial threats.
Anti-Drone Systems have a significant capability to detect the target, obstruct their links and destroy their drones through their range.
Anti-Drone System Features
Anti-Drone System technology can help in 360-degree coverage of border areas to identify enemy drones. They can trace enemy drones for up to 3 km and attack with lasers to overthrow the drone up to 2.5 km. However, the kill range of a specific Anti-Drone System may differ depending on the wattage of the weapon.
The features of an anti-drone device may differ based on the technology used in making the drones. The main features of a typical Anti-Drone System are shared as follows.
- Unwanted drones or unmanned aerial threats inside the military area are serious security concerns.
- Still, with the help of radar detection, an Anti-Drone System can efficiently detect low-flying, small UAVs that are difficult to detect through the naked eye.
- It is a great way to identify aircraft or small drones.
- Anti-Drone Systems also have radar detection capability for up to four kilometers.
- Jammers help block drone communication by blasting electromagnetic noise at the RF (radio frequencies).
- This feature of an Anti-Drone System is known as soft kill, by blocking the messages.
- It has a jamming range capability of up to 2 kilometers of the region.
Killing the Drone
- The system of an Anti-Drone System shoots a laser-based attack on the enemy's drone to destroy it completely, also known as a hard kill.
- The killing range of the anti-drone system has a range capability of up to one kilometer.
Unwanted aircraft inside one's territory is a sign of destruction and a serious security concern. So the DRDO has developed an Anti-Drone System in India to tackle this serious issue. It is very beneficial to recognize and neutralize the enemy's attack and help a nation to overcome its enemy's evil plans. A counter-drone technology can efficiently detect, block communication and destroy the drone.
FAQs on Anti-Drone System
Q1. What is an Anti-Drone System?
Anti-Drone System is a technology that blocks or tracks Unmanned Aerial Devices (UAVs). This technology can detect enemy drones and destroy them using radio frequency. As drones are used by enemies to gather sensitive information, Anti-Drone systems are necessary for the safety of a nation.
Q2. Does India have Anti-Drone Systems?
Yes, India has many Anti-Drone Systems. The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) first developed a counter-drone device to tackle enemy drones on border areas. Similarly, in 2023, Lt Col Sadanand Chauhan of the Indian Army Corps of Signals also build such a device.
Q3. What is an Anti-Drone System used for?
Anti-Drone Systems are used to detect and destroy enemy drones or other unmanned aerial vehicles. The use of drone technology to gather sensitive information from enemy nations is becoming increasingly prevalent. Anti-Drone Systems make it possible to secure the nation’s safety by jamming enemy drones.
Q4. How do Anti-Drone Systems work?
Anti-Drone Systems are largely dependent on radiofrequency to work. To block enemy drones, Anti-Drone Systems blast electromagnetic noise. This helps to drown any conversation or sensitive information that the enemy drone might be looking for.
Q5. Who developed Anti-Drone System in India?
DRDO or the Defence Research and Development Organization first developed Anti-Drone System in India to improve border security. This technology was manufactured by Bharat Electronics Limited. In 2021, this device recorded its first kill on the country’s borders.
Q6. Why does the Indian Armed Forces use Anti-Drone System?
Indian Armed Forces use the Anti-Drone System developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization) for intercepting and detecting enemy drones or UAVs (unmanned aerial vehicles).
Q7. What is the coverage area of an Anti-Drone System?
Anti-Drone Systems can help in 360-degree coverage to identify micro drones. The range that Anti-Drone Systems can work differs from system to system but generally, it can detect enemy drones from up to 3 km and attack with lasers to overthrow the drone up to 2.5 km.