Biotechnology and Its Applications
Types of Biotechnology
- Applied to agricultural processes.
- Three main areas of application are Plant tissue culture; Plant genetic engineering and plant molecular marker-assisted breeding.
- Biotech is used to make plants pest and drought tolerant.
- BT Cotton is an example of a bollworm tolerant plant. It is also a transgenic plant.
- Concerned with medical sciences, development of innovative drugs and treatment.
- Application: Productions of vaccines and antibiotics, regenerative therapies, gene therapy, stem cell therapy etc. are few applications of Red biotech.
- Use of sea resources marine and freshwater organisms to create products and industrial applications.
- Applied to industrial processes.
- Using enzymes as industrial catalysts, usage of moulds, bacteria, yeast etc to produce various goods are few examples of White biotechnology.
- Biotechnology with insects.
- It also refers to the use of biotechnology in food production.
- Application of Biotechnology to environmental applications, maintenance of biodiversity and removal of pollutants.
- Related to the management of Arid Zone and Deserts
- Creation of drought-resistant seeds, natural resources management, the creation of agricultural techniques suited to arid landscape etc. are few examples of Brown biotech.
- Related to law, ethical and philosophical issues around biotechnology
- Related to bioterrorism, biological weapons and biowarfare which use microorganisms and toxins to cause diseases, death and disability.
Application of Biotechnology
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic testing
- Genetically modified crops
- Plant and animal reproduction
- Abiotic Stress Resistance
- Microbial remediation
- Food Processing
- Fermentation process
- Protein engineering
- Human Genome Project
- Three parents baby
- GM Mustard
- Gene Therapy
- Stem Cell Therapy
- National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020 (NBDS)
- National Biopharma Mission