1. Para-powerlifter, Sudhir wins gold medal in Men’s Heavyweight in CWG 2022
- Para-powerlifter, Sudhir has clinched the gold medal in the Men’s Heavyweight, after defeating Ikechukwu Obichukwu (Nigeria), in the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games, with the lift of 212kg.
- He won India’s first gold in Para-Powerlifting at Commonwealth Games.
- Other highlights:
- India's M. Sreeshankar has clinched silver in Men's long jump.
- India’s Saurav Ghosal has bagged the bronze medal in squash men’s singles.
- Till now, India has won 20 medals (6(G) 7(S); 7(B)).
2. DRDO successfully test-fires laser-guided ATGM from Main Battle Tank Arjun
- DRDO and Indian army have successfully test-fired indigenously developed Laser-Guided Anti-Tank Guided Missiles (ATGM) from Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun.
- The missiles have hit the target successfully with the precision at two different ranges.
- Laser Guided ATGM employs a tandem High Explosive Anti-Tank (HEAT) warhead to defeat Explosive Reactive Armour protected armoured vehicles.
- This is currently under technical evaluation trials from MBT Arjun's 120 mm rifled gun.
3. Indian Navy women crew completes surveillance mission over Arabian Sea
- Five women officers of the INAS 314 have created history by completing the first all-women independent maritime reconnaissance and surveillance mission over the north Arabian Sea onboard a Dornier 228 aircraft.
- The INAS 314 is a frontline Naval Air Squadron based at Porbandar, Gujarat.
- Five women: Lt Commander Aanchal Sharma (Mission Commander); Lt Shivangi; Lt Apurva Gite; Lt Pooja Panda; Sub Lt Pooja Shekhawat
- Chief of Naval Staff: Admiral, Hari Kumar
Books & Authors
4. Biography of President Draupadi Murmu to be released soon
- A biography of 15th President of India, Droupadi Murmu, titled 'Madam President: A Biography of Draupadi Murmu' will be released by the end of 2022.
- The book has been written by Bhubaneswar-based senior journalist, Sandeep Sahu.
- The book will be published by Penguin Random House India (PRHI).
- Droupadi Murmu, is the youngest President and the first woman tribal President of India.
- She was also appointed as the governor of Jharkhand.
5. South Korea launches first Moon mission
- South Korea has successfully launched its first lunar mission, Korea Pathfinder Lunar Orbiter, also known as Danuri, from Cape Canaveral in Florida.
- This mission is jointly developed by Nasa and the Korea Aerospace Research Institute.
- The satellite launched by SpaceX, will arrive in December 2022.
- The Scientists are expecting to collect geologic and other data from this low polar orbit.
- South Korea has also planned to land its own spacecraft on the moon by 2030.
6. Russia becomes third largest coal supplier of India in July 2022
- According to the data published by the Indian consultancy Coalmint, Russia has become the third-largest coal supplier of India in July 2022.
- Russia has historically been the sixth-largest supplier of coal to India, after Indonesia, South Africa, Australia, and the United States, with Mozambique and Colombia alternatingly featuring in the top five.
- Imports of India from Russia have increased nearly five times to over $15 billion ever since Russia-Ukraine war.
7. India adds 10 more wetlands designated as Ramsar sites
- India has added 10 more sites to Ramsar list, taking the total number of such sites in the country to 64.
- 10 new wetland sites are from TN, Goa, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha.
- TN: Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary, Gulf of Mannar Marine Biosphere Reserve; Vembannur Wetland Complex; Vellode Bird Sanctuary; Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary; Udhayamarthandapuram Bird Sanctuary
- Odisha: Satkosia Gorge
- Goa: Nanda Lake
- Karnataka: Ranganathituu BS
- Madhya Pradesh: Sirpur wetland
8. Amazon joins hands with Indian Railways to boost delivery of packages
- Amazon India has come into a partnership with Indian Railways to boost its delivery services in the country.
- This partnership helps e-commerce firm to transport packages on more than 110 inter-city routes, ensuring one to two-day delivery for its customer.
- Amazon India now ferries customer packages with the Indian Railways to cities and towns such as Jharsuguda, Ratnagiri, Kurnool, Nanded, Bareilly, Bokaro and Rudrapur among others
National & International Appointments
9. Ranjit Rath takes charge as CMD of Oil India
- Ranjit Rath has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of state-run Oil India Ltd (OIL).
- He has replaced Sushil Chandra Mishra who superannuated on June 30.
- Prior to his appointment, he served as the CMD Mineral Exploration & Consultancy Ltd.
- He has also held the positions of the CEO of Khanij Bidesh India Limited, additional charge of the Director General of Geological Survey of India, and MD of Bharat Gold Mines Ltd
10. Former boxing world champion, Johnny Famechon passes away
- Former featherweight boxing world champion, Johnny Famechon (Australian) has passed away at 77 in Melbourne.
- He was associated with professional boxing for more than 20 years and had a record of 56 wins (20 by knockout, six draws and five losses).
- He won his featherweight world title against Masahiko Harada from Japan.
- His most memorable world title victory was his WBC points decision win against Jose Legra from Cuba at London’s Albert Hall in 1969.
Banking & Finance
11. RBI raises Repo Rate by 50 basis points to 5.40%
- RBI has increased the Repo Rate by 50 basis points to 5.40%, Standing Deposit Facility Rate to 5.15%, MSF and Bank Rate revised to 5.65% in the latest bi-monthly monetary policy.
- Reason: to control the inflationary pressure
- As per the RBI, real GDP growth for the first quarter of the ensuing fiscal year is projected at 6.7%.
- GDP growth projection for 2022-23 retained at 7.2%.
- India’s reserves remain the fourth largest globally.
Science & Technology
12. ULA's Atlas V rocket launched with US Space Force satellite
- A United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket has been successfully launched from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.
- It was carrying the Space Based Infrared System Geosynchronous Earth Orbit-6 (SBIRS GEO 6) mission for the U.S. Space Force’s Space Systems Command.
- SBIRS is an early missile warning system that will replace the Defense Support Program (launched in the 1950).
- The ULA is a joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Boeing.
13. Haryana government launched Cheerag scheme for EWS students
- Haryana government has recently launched the “Chief Minister Equal Education Relief, Assistance and Grant (Cheerag)”scheme.
- Under the Cheerag scheme, government school students whose parents have an annual verified income of less than Rs 1.8 lakh can enroll in private schools from Class II to XII.
- The government will reimburse:
- Rs 700 per student from Classes II to V
- Rs 900 per student from Classes VI to VIII
- Rs 1,100 per student from Classes IX to XII