1. Mirabai Chanu bagged first gold for India in 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Weightlifter, Saikhom Mirabai Chanu has claimed first gold medal for India in the Women’s 49Kg event at Birmingham 2022 CWG.
- She lifted total weight of 201Kg in snatch and clean and jerk category.
- Bindyarani Devi Sorokhaibam (Weightlifter) has bagged second Silver medal for India in Women's 55 Kg category.
- Earlier, Sanket Sargar clinched silver medal (first medal in 2022 CWG) in the Men's 55Kg category.
- While Gururaja Poojary bagged bronze medal in the Men's 61Kg.
2. PM Modi launches revamped power distribution sector scheme
- PM Narendra Modi has participated in the grand finale of ‘Ujjwal Bharat Ujjwal Bhavishya – Power @2047’ via video conferencing.
- During the event, he launched the revamped distribution sector scheme.
- He also laid the foundation stone of various green energy projects of the National Thermal Power Corporation Limited.
- The initiative proposes to provide financial support to discoms with an outlay of more than Rs 3 lakh crore for five-year period till FY 2025–26.
3. Max Verstappen wins Hungarian Grand Prix 2022
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull) won the 2022 Hungarian Grand Prix, followed by Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) and George Russell (Mercedes).
- With this title, he sealed his eighth victory of the 2022 Formula One season and the 28th of his career.
- Previous 2022 GP:
- French Grand Prix: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
- Austrian Grand Prix: Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
- British Grand Prix: Carlos Sainz Jr.(Ferrari)
- Canadian Grand Prix: Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
4. Veteran singer Nirmala Mishra passes away
- Renowned Bengali singer, Nirmala Mishra has passed away at 81 due to heart attack.
- She sang various songs in Bengali, Odia and Assamese films.
- The West Bengal government has also awarded her ‘Sangeet Samman’, ‘Sangeet Mahasamman’ and ‘Bangabhibhushan’ awards.
- She has been conferred with the Sangeet Sudhakar Balakrushna Das Award for her lifetime contribution to the Odia music.
- Her popular songs are ‘O tota pakhi re’, ‘Emon ekta jhinuk khuje pelam na’, ‘Ei Banglar mati te’
Banking & Finance
5. RBI revised guidelines on storage of Actual Card Data
- The RBI has relaxed card-on-file data storage norms pertaining to guest transactions checkout.
- Now, apart from the card issuer and the card network, the merchant or its payment aggregator involved in the settlement of the transactions can save the data for a maximum of T+4 days or till the settlement date, whichever is earlier.
- Guest checkout transactions: Cardholders decide to enter card details manually at the time of undertaking the transaction.
6. Former Philippine President Fidel Ramos passes away
- Former Philippine President Fidel Ramos has passed away at 94 due to COVID-19 complications.
- He was the 12th president of the Republic of the Philippines from 1992 to 1998.
- During his tenure, the Philippines was recognized as a budding “tiger economy”.
- He was from the military background, become the chief of the Philippine Constabulary and then Vice Chief-of-Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines during the time of President Ferdinand E Marcos Sr.
Summits & Conferences
7. PM Modi inaugurates first All India DLSAs Meet
- PM Modi has addressed the inaugural session of the first All India District Legal Services Authorities (DLSA) meeting conducted by National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- Aim: Creation of an integrated procedure in order to bring homogeneity and synchronisation across DLSAs.
- There are a total of 676 DLSAs in the country and are headed by the District Judge, acts as Chairman of the authority.
- The DLSAs reduces the burden on courts by regulating the Lok Adalats.
8. Gustav McKeon becomes first batter in T20I to score consecutive tons
- France batter, Gustav McKeon (18) has become the youngest male player to score consecutive international hundreds in the T20 World Cup 2024 Europe Qualifier Group B match ( second international match for the youngster).
- He made his record against Norway at the Kerava National Cricket Ground in Finland.
- He smashed five fours and eight sixes in his 53-ball 101 against Norway.
- Earlier, he smashed 61-ball 109 against Switzerland in Vantaa.
9. Reliance, Ola & Rajesh Exports sign for battery manufacturing
- Reliance New Energy, Ola Electric and Rajesh Exports (Indian jewellery maker) have signed an agreement to build battery cells under the Indian government’s Rs 18,000 crore incentive program.
- The government had selected these companies to build a total of 50 gigawatt hours of battery storage capacity.
- It is estimated that the PLI scheme for Advanced Chemistry Cell (ACC) battery storage will result in direct investments of around Rs 45,000 crore in manufacturing projects.
10. Indian Air Force will retire all squadrons of MiG-21 by 2025
- The Indian Air Force will retire one of its four remaining squadrons, MiG-21 (Russian combat aircraft) fighter jets by 2022 September and other three scheduled to be phased out by 2025.
- The old MiG-21s will be replaced with newer fighter jets.
- The air force received its first single-engine MiG-21 in 1963.
- The fighter jet has been participated in many operations like Safed Sagar (Kargil, 1999), operation of India in Pakistan in February 2019,.