1. Sanket Mahadev Sargar wins India's first medal in 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Sanket Mahadev Sargar (from Sangli in Maharashtra) has bagged silver in men's 55kg weightlifting, the India's first medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
- He has lifted a total weight of 248kg (113+135).
- Bin Kasdan Mohamad Aniq from Malaysia has claimed gold medal with a total lift of 249kg (107+142).
- Dilanka Isuru Kumara Yodage of Sri Lanka has bagged bronze with a total lift of 225kg (105+120).
National & International Organizations
2. Savitri Jindal becomes the richest woman in Asia
- According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Savitri Jindal (72, Indian) has become the richest women in Asia with $11.3 billion fortune.
- She replaced China's Yang Huiya, with the net worth of $11.0bn.
- Huiyan, who controls largest real estate developer Country Garden Holdings of China has lost half of his wealth drop from nearly $24 billion last year to $11 billion.
- Savitri Jindal became the chairperson of the Jindal Group, after the death of her husband OP Jindal.
3. Kerala govt to launch online cab service 'Kerala Savari'
- The Kerala government is set to launch its own e-taxi service named 'Kerala Savari' from August.
- This online taxi hiring service is being rolled out by the state Labour Department which is linking the existing auto-taxi networks in the state.
- Aim: To ensure safe and dispute-free travel for the public at affordable rates prevailing in the state.
- The new service would be launched in a function to be held at Kanakakkunnu Palace.
- Kerala Governor: Arif Mohammad Khan
4. Tamil Nadu govt launched ‘Chief Minister’s Breakfast Scheme’
- Chief Minister of The Tamil Nadu, M K Stalin has announced to roll out a breakfast scheme for state-run school children of Classes 1 to 5.
- The project incurs the cost of Rs 33.56 crores.
- The breakfast meal included sambar and vegetables, will be provided to children in all working schools.
- Every student is to be provided a 150-500 gram breakfast with sambar with vegetables.
- Tamil Nadu Capital: Chennai; Governor: RN Ravi
5. World Day Against Trafficking in Persons: 30 July
- World Day Against Trafficking is observed annually on 30 July to aware people about the ordeal of human trafficking victims and the ways to safeguard their rights.
- Theme 2022: Use and abuse of technology.
- The World Day Against Trafficking in Persons was observed for the first time in 2013.
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) collect data and analysis ways to protect the rights of the victims since 2003.
6. Chhattisgarh CM govt launched ‘Mahtari Nyay Rath’
- The Chhattisgarh Women Commission has organised ‘Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath Yatra’ to make the women of the state aware of their constitutional rights and laws.
- CM Bhupesh Baghel has flag off the ‘Mukhyamantri Mahtari Nyay Rath’ (chariots) on the occasion of Hareli Tihaar festival.
- The Information regarding women's rights and concerning laws spread through short films, messages and brochures.
- Chairperson of Chhattisgarh women’s commission: Dr. Kiranmayi Nayak
Science & Technology
7. IIT Madras launches ‘Nilekani Centre at AI4Bharat’
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (IIT Madras) has launched the ‘Nilekani Centre at AI4Bharat” with an aim to advance the state of Indian language technology.
- AI4Bharat, is an initiative to build open-source language (Artificial Intelligence) AI for Indian languages.
- The centre has made several cutting-edge resources open-source for mass public use and can be downloaded from their webpage.
Honours & Awards
8. Canadian scholar receives ICCR’s ‘Distinguished Indologist for 2021’ award
- A Canadian scholar, Jeffrey Armstrong has been awarded with the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) 2021 Distinguished Indologist for his outstanding contribution in study, teaching and research in any of the fields of Indian Studies.
- He is the founder of the Vedic Academy of Science & Arts and author of The Bhagavad Gita comes Alive.
- The ICCR Distinguished Indologist award was instituted in 2015 during the First World Indology Conference.
9. RIL partners IOA for first-ever India House at Paris Olympics 2024
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has come into partnership with Indian Olympic Association (IOA), which would involve the setting up of first-ever India House at Paris Olympics 2024.
- Aim: To elevate the performances of Indian athletes, support the national sports federations and build the credentials of India.
- This partnership will support Indian athletes in major events including the CWG, Asian Games, and the Olympics Games.
- IOA President: Anil Khanna (Acting)
10. Zimbabwe launches gold coins to control inflation
- Zimbabwe has launched gold coins named “Mosi-oa-Tunya' to control an inflation spike that has eroded the country’s unstable currency.
- The move was announced by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe (central bank), which has disbursed 2,000 coins to commercial banks.
- Coins have been given the status of liquid asset, which can be easily converted into cash.
- Coins can be used by Individuals or companies.
- They can purchase coins from banks and other authorised outlets.