National & International Appointments
1. Dr Rajiv Bahl appointed as Director General ICMR
- The Central government has appointed Dr Rajiv Bahl as a Director General of Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) cum- Secretary Department of Health Research (DHR) for three years.
- Presently, He is serving as a head of the research on maternal, newborn child and adolescent health cum-newborn unit at WHO, Geneva.
- He has replaced Dr Balram Bhargav, whose tenure has been ended in July 2022.
- ICMR Headquarters: New Delhi
Science & Technology
2. ISRO develops microprocessor-controlled smart limbs
- ISRO's Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre has developed an intelligent artificial limb, under an MoU with National Institute for Locomotor Disabilities, Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya National Institute for Persons with Physical Disabilities (Divyangjan).
- Weight: 1.6 kg
- It has enabled an amputee to walk about 100 metres in the corridor with minimum support.
- It is a microprocessor-controlled knees (MPKs) that offers extended capabilities for the amputee.
Books & Authors
3. A book titled “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sabka Vishwas” released
- Former VP, Venkaiah Naidu has released a book titled “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sabka Vishwas” at Akashvani Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The book was released in the presence of Kerala Governor, Arif Mohammad Khan at an event, organised by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
- The book is a collection of PM Modi selected speeches between May 2019 and May 2020.
- The book focuses on 86 speeches of PM on various subjects.
- The book was published in Hindi and English.
4. Chhattisgarh government launches a campaign 'Hamar Beti – Hamar Maan'
- Chhattisgarh government will launch a special campaign called ’Hamar Beti – Hamar Maan’ (our daughters, our honour).
- Aim: For protection and safety of girls and women and provide them essential services.
- Implementation: Women police personnel will visit schools and colleges in all districts and educate girls about their legal rights.
- Govt will soon launch a helpline number for complaints about misbehaviour, molestation and other crimes against women.
Summits & Conferences
5. G. Kishan Reddy launches Conference 'SymphoNE' to boost Tourism Sector
- Union Minister, G. Kishan Reddy has launched Virtual Conference 'SymphoNE' to boost Tourism Sector in North East India.
- SymphoNE is the start of a series of dialogues on North Eastern Region's Development Conference comprised of a broad range of Policy Thinkers, Stakeholders & Influencers.
- The Virtual Conference is being organized on 24th - 27th September 2022, by Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region on the occasion of World Tourism Day(27 September).
6. MoHUA launches Swachh Toycathon 2022
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has launched the Swachh Toycathon as a part of the Swachh Amrit Mahotsav.
- It is a unique competition to make toys from dry waste.
- Aim: To explore innovative solutions for the use of dry waste in manufacturing toys.
- The knowledge partner for the initiative is the Center for Creative Learning, IIT Gandhinagar and the competition will be hosted on the MyGov portal.
Science & Technology
7. China discovers rare lunar crystal and nuclear power source on moon
- The researchers of China have discovered a rare lunar crystal and nuclear power source on near side of the moon.
- It is a small, transparent crystal (Diamond shape).
- It was named after the Chinese moon goddess Chang'e.
- It is as wide as a human hair.
- Chang’e-5 Mission:
- It is China’s first lunar sample-return mission and fifth lunar exploration mission.
- It was launched in November 2020 and returned the sample back to Earth in December 2020.
8. Defence ministry inks Rs 1700 cr pact for dual-role BrahMos missiles
- The Ministry of Defence has signed an agreement with BrahMos Aerospace Pvt. Ltd. (BAPL) for acquisition of additional dual-role capable Surface to Surface BrahMos missiles at ₹1700 Crore (approx) under “Buy-Indian" Category.
- The Induction of these dual-role capable Missiles will enhance the operational capability of Indian Navy fleet assets.
- BrahMos variants can be launched from land, air and sea, and all three variants are in service in the Indian armed forces.
9. Quad signs Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief partnership guidelin
- The QUAD group has signed the Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) partnership guidelines during a ministerial meeting hosted by the US on the sidelines of UNGA in New York.
- The partnership was announced during the Quad Leaders’ Tokyo Summit 2022 as part of the grouping’s shared vision of free and open Indo-Pacific.
- These guidelines aim to respond to disasters occurring in the Indo-Pacific region.
10. Health Minister inaugurates two-days long Arogya Manthan 2022
- Health Minister, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya has inaugurated Arogya Manthan 2022 to celebrate the four years of implementation of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri - Jan Arogya Yojana and one year of Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission.
- The scheme provides a health cover of five lakh rupees annually to vulnerable families.
- The Minister has also launched several new initiatives including Health Claims Exchange (HCX), National e-Rupi Portal and Roadmap for Digitization.