1. Neeraj Chopra becomes World Number 1 in Men's Javelin Throw rankings
- As per the latest rankings released by World Athletics, Olympic champion Neeraj Chopra has become the new world number one in the men’s javelin throw with 1455 points.
- Anderson Peters from Grenadian ranked second, followed by Jakub Vadlejch, and Julian Weber.
- Neeraj Chopra also became the first Indian to win a gold medal in a track and field event at the Tokyo Olympics.
- In 2023, he won the Diamond League in Doha with a world-leading effort of 88.67m.
2. Government to provide 30% financial support for Green Shipping promotion
- Union Minister of Ports, Sarbananda Sonowal has informed that the government will provide financial support of 30% for the promotion of Green Shipping.
- In addition, Green Hydrogen hubs will be developed at the Deendayal Port (Kandla) and Chidambaranar Port (Tuticorin).
- Under the Green Tug Transition program, two tugs each will be procured for the Jawaharlal Nehru, VO Chidambaranar, Paradip, and Deendayal ports.
- A portal will be designed for cruise bookings.
Summits & Conferences
3. Arab League Summit in Jeddah adopts Jeddah Declaration
- The 32nd Arab League Summit has been concluded in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia with the adoption of the Jeddah Declaration
- This declaration focuses on fostering Arab unity and addressing various regional challenges.
- The unanimous decision to readmit Syria to the Arab League
- The declaration emphasizes the need for increased pan-Arab efforts to assist Syria in resolving its ongoing crisis
- It also proclaims the Arab League's commitment to the Arab Peace Initiative
4. Actor Sarath Babu passes away
- Veteran actor Sarath Babu has passed away at 71 from Multi-Organ failure.
- He has primarily worked in Tamil and Telugu films and was known for his roles in 'Annamalai' and 'Muthu'.
- He has appeared in more than 200 films, including Kannada, Malayalam, and Hindi films.
- He started his career in 1973 through a Telugu film and later became popular through the Tamil film 'Nizhal Nijamagiradhu', directed by K Balachander.
- He was honored with eight state Nandi Awards.
5. India-US Working Group on Education and Skill Development launched
- Ministry of Education and the US Department of State launched the India-US Working Group on Education and Skill Development.
- Aim: To enhance cooperation and collaboration between the two countries in the field of education and skill development
- The working group exchanged perspectives on skill development and vocational education, certification and recognition, partnerships between US and Indian higher educational institutions, and engaging with the private sector.
Honours & Awards
6. Thalapathy Vijay wins Best Actor Award at Osaka Tamil Film Festival, Japan
- Thalapathy Vijay received the Best Actor Award at the Osaka Tamil International Film Festival held in Japan.
- He was awarded for his performance in 'Master' (directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj), released in 2021
- While Kangana Ranaut has bagged the Best Actress Award for her performance in Thalaivii.
- Other winners:
- Best Tamil Film: Sarpatta Parambarai
- Best Director: Pa. Ranjith (Sarpatta Parambarai)
- Best Supporting Actor: K. Manikandan
- Best Supporting Actress: Lijomol Jose
7. TCS announces Generative AI partnership with Google Cloud
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has expanded its partnership with Google Cloud to launch TCS Generative AI.
- It leverages Google Cloud’s generative AI services.
- It is designed and deployed for custom-tailored business solutions that help clients harness the power of this new technology to accelerate their growth.
- It is powered by Google Cloud’s Generative AI tools – Vertex AI, Generative AI Application Builder and Model Garden, and TCS’ own solutions.
8. World Turtle Day 2023: 23rd May
- The non-profit organization, American Tortoise Rescue (ATR) celebrates World Turtle Day on May 23 every year.
- Reason: To raise public awareness regarding the need to protect turtles, tortoises, and their rapidly diminishing habitats
- 2023 theme: I love Turtles
- The theme highlights the critical need to conserve these species and their future in the face of dwindling habitats.
- According to ATR, around 61% of turtles worldwide are threatened or already extinct.
National & International Organizations
9. Financial Times global ranking puts IIMK among top four schools in India
- According to the Financial Times Ranking 2023, IIM Kozhikode has been placed among the top 4 schools in India and among the top 75 schools worldwide for its Open Enrolment Executive Education Programme.
- IIM Kozhikode has been ranked 72 among the top 75 providers of open-enrolment executive programs globally.
- While IIM Ahmedabad ranked 45, IIM Bangalore at 47, and Indian School of Business at 65.
- Topped by: Iese Business School, Spain, followed by HEC Paris.
Banking & Finance
10. Paytm Money launches bond investing
- Paytm Money has launched the most advanced bond platform for retail investors in India.
- This platform will simplify debt investing for individuals.
- Investors can invest in three types of bonds – government, corporate, and tax-free on Paytm Money.
- It provides all relevant information on one platform to investors.
- Investors can find all information related to coupon vs yield, clean price vs dirty price, coupon frequency, and coupon record dates on one dashboard.
Books & Authors
11. Assam Governor releases book ‘Partitioned Freedom’
- Assam Governor, Gulab Chand Kataria has released a book titled ‘Partitioned Freedom’ at an event in Guwahati.
- This book was written by Ram Madhav and published by Prabhat Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.
- This book offers great insights into the events that unfolded during 1905 and the pre-independence era.
- Ram Madhav is an Indian Politician, Author, and thinker.
- His other books: Uneasy Neighbours: India and China After 50 Years of the War and Asahaj Pados
12. Vizag dist launched health insurance scheme for special children
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the District Collector of Visakhapatnam district, Dr. A Mallikharjuna has launched the Niramaya Health Insurance scheme.
- Beneficiary: Children suffering from autism, cerebral palsy, mental retardation, multiple disabilities, and others
- The money for the scheme was arranged from Sanjivani Nidhi (funds for which were donated by government employees on New Year's Day).
- The insured person would get 1 lakh a year for health-related issues
13. MP becomes first state in country to provide free air travel to pilgrims
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in the country to conduct pilgrimage by air on government expenditure, under the Mukhya Mantri Teerth-Darshan Yojana.
- Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan has flagged off a regular Indigo flight carrying a batch of 32 senior citizens on pilgrimage to Prayagraj (UP) from Bhopal (MP) via flight.
- A help center was also set up at the airport for the convenience of the passengers.
14. GRSE’s launched ‘GAINS’ Startup Challenge
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE) Ltd launched GRSE Accelerated Innovation Nurturing Scheme (GAINS) 2023 in Kolkata.
- Aim: To identify and encourage the development of innovative solutions toward technological advances in shipbuilding by Startups
- Focus: AI, Renewable/Green Energy, Energy Efficiency, and Efficiency Enhancement
- It was launched by G Surya Prakash, Assistant Manager (Finance) of GRSE.
- GRSE was established as a Category 1 Mini Ratna Company.
15. Himachal Pradesh govt to formulate Green Hydrogen policy
- The Himachal Pradesh government has formulated the ‘Green Hydrogen’ policy to promote the use of green hydrogen and establish the state as a leading hub for its production.
- It aims to attract investments in large-scale renewable energy projects, ensuring a consistent and sustainable supply of green electricity for electrolysis.
- The government has already signed an MoU with Oil India Limited to enable the production of green hydrogen and green ammonia on a pilot basis.
Commentswrite a comment