1. Third edition of Vietnam-India army exercise “Ex VINBAX 2022” begins
- The third edition of Vietnam-India bilateral army exercise “Ex VINBAX 2022” has begun at Chandimandir in Haryana till 20th August.
- Aim: To strengthen the bilateral relations between India and Vietnam.
- Theme of Ex VINBAX - 2022: Employment and deployment of an Engineer Company and a Medical Team as part of United Nations Contingent for Peace Keeping Operations.
- Indian Army General Chief: General Manoj Pande
2. Karnataka govt announces various welfare programmes on completing one year
- Karnataka CM Basavaraj Bommai has announced various welfare programmes on the occasion of his government completing one year in office.
- Vidyanidhi Programme: This provide scholarship from Rs 2,500 to Rs 11,000 to the children of farmers, weavers, taxi drivers and fishermen, who studying in 11th class.
- Swami Vivekananda Yuva Sangha: provide training to the youths to evolve into entrepreneurs.
- SC/ST families will be provided free power supply up to 75 units
3. Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurates Badi Sadri-Mavli gauge converted rail section
- Union Rail Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw has inaugurated the Badi Sadri-Mavli gauge converted rail section.
- The minister flagged off the Badi Sadri-Udaipur City train service in Chittorgarh.
- While, the Rewa-Udaipur City Special and Siuri-Sealdah-Siuri train services in West Bengal virtually.
- The railway stations that are currently in the redevelopment phase are being built with a plan keeping in mind the next 50 years.
4. President of Maldives visit to India from August 1
- Maldives President, Ibrahim Mohamed Solih has arrived in India on a four-day visit to India.
- He will hold talk with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several agreements are expected to be signed after the talks.
- He also scheduled to meet President Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Both countries share common perspectives on maritime security issues in the Indian Ocean.
- Maldives Capital: Maale; Currency: Maldivian rufiyaa
National & International Appointments
5. Sanjay Arora takes charge as Delhi police commissioner
- Sanjay Arora, a Tamil Nadu-cadre IPS office, took charge as Delhi’s police commissioner. He is due for retirement in 2025.
- He succeeded Rakesh Asthana (Gujarat cadre IPS officer), who retired after nearly 38 years in service.
- He was appointed the Director General of the paramilitary Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- He served as the Superintendent of Police of the Tamil Nadu Police STF and also served as Coimbatore police commissioner between 2002 and 2004.
6. Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Razia Dhillon win gold in each shooting meet
- Olympic medallist, Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Raiza Dhillon have claimed gold medals in men's and women's skeet events respectively in the inaugural Digvijay Singh Memorial Shooting Championship (Shotgun).
- Arjun Thakur of Madhya Pradesh has silver position and Gurjoat Singh from Punjab has settled for bronze in Men's category.
- Dhillon has bagged double gold after winning the Junior Women's Skeet competition over Parinaaz Dhaliwal from Punjab.
7. Indian Weightlifter Achinta Sheuli clinched gold medal in 2022 CWG
- Indian weightlifter, Achinta Sheuli has bagged gold medal in Men's 73 Kg category, with a total lift of 313 Kg (143kg in snatch and 170kg in clean & jerk).
- Erry Hidayat Mohammad (Malaysia) has clinched Silver medal with a total of 303 kg, while Darsigny (Canada) won Bronze with a total of 298 kg.
- Earlier, Mirabai Chanu and Jeremy Lalrinunnga have claimed gold medal while Bindyarani Devi and Sanketh Sargar bagged silver and Gururaja Poojary has settled for bronze.
8. Indo-Oman joint military exercise begins in Rajasthan
- The joint military Exercise "AL NAJAH -IV" between contingents of Indian Army and the Royal Army of Oman has been kicked-off at the Mahajan Field Firing Range in Bikaner, Rajasthan.
- The contingent of Royal Army of Oman is comprising 60 personnel from the Sultan of Oman Parachute Regiment and the Indian Army is represented by troops from the 18 Mechanised Infantry Battalion.
- Focus: Counter Terrorism Operations, Regional Security Operations and Peace Keeping Operations.
Banking & Finance
9. GST revenue collection for July 2022 second highest ever at ₹1.49 lakh cror
- The government has collected gross GST for July 2022 is ₹1,48,995 crore, which is the second highest collection ever since the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax.
- The July 2022 revenue is 28% higher than the revenues in the July 2021 of ₹1,16,393 crore.
- CGST is ₹25,751 crore, SGST is ₹32,807 crore, IGST is ₹79,518 crore (including ₹41,420 crore collected on import of goods) and cess is ₹10,920 crore (including ₹995 crore collected on import of goods).
10. England beat Germany to win Women’s European Championship 2022
- England defeated Germany by 2-1 in the final of the European Championship to win its first major women's soccer title at Wembley Stadium.
- Chloe Kelly (England) gave 2-1 win over Germany in the Women’s European Championship final to claim their first-ever major title in front of a record crowd on home soil.
- England coach, Sarina Wiegman made history by becoming the first manager to win the Euros with two separate teams (England and Netherlands)