National & International Appointments
1. Former Union Bank CEO, G Rajkiran Rai selected as MD of NaBF
- Former CEO of Union Bank, G Rajkiran Rai has been recommended by the Financial Services Institutions Bureau (FSIB) as Managing Director at the National Bank for Financing Infrastructure and Development (NaBFID).
- He served as the MD & CEO of Union Bank of India for five years, till the date of his superannuation in May 2022.
- FSIB was incorporated on July 1, 2022.
- The erstwhile Banks Board Bureau (BBB) was revamped into FSIB with certain amendments in its mandate.
Banking & Finance
2. Wholesale inflation of India declines marginally to 15.18% for June
- The Wholesale Price Index (WPI) of India for the month of June 2022 is 15.18% (Provisional), is marginally lower than the WPI number of 15.88% in May, 2022.
- Reason of high rate of inflation: Rise in prices of mineral oils, food articles, crude petroleum & natural gas, basic metals, chemicals & chemical products, food products etc.
- Fuel and Power category: Index increased by 0.65% to 155.4 in June.
- It remained in double-digit for the 15th straight month.
3. Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya received tag for Central University
- The National Rail and Transportation Institute in Gujarat has been upgraded to a central university and will be known as the Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya.
- The Union Cabinet gave its approval to introduce a Bill in Parliament, namely, the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2022 to amend the Central Universities Act, 2009 for setting up of Gati Shakti Vishwavidyalaya (GSV).
- This is the second central university in the state following the Central University of Gujarat.
4. Government sets up committee to develop framework on right to repair
- The Department of Consumer Affairs has set up a committee in developing a framework for the ‘Right to Repair’.
- The committee will be chaired by Nidhi Khare (Additional Secretary of Department of Consumer Affairs).
- Aim: To empower consumers and product buyers in the local market, harmonize trade between the original equipment manufacturers and the third-party buyers and sellers.
- Countries like the U.S.A, U.K, and European Union have already recognized the Right to Repair
National & International Organizations
5. Kerala, Ahmedabad on Time Magazine's List Of 2022 World's Greatest Places
- The TIME magazine has listed Kerala and Ahmedabad among the 50 extraordinary destinations to explore in its list of the World’s Greatest Places of 2022.
- Kerala: It is one of India’s most beautiful states. With spectacular beaches and lush backwaters, it’s known as “God’s own country” for good reason.
- Ahmedabad: India’s first UNESCO World Heritage City, Ahmedabad, boasts both ancient landmarks and contemporary innovations.
6. Stealth frigate INS Dunagiri launches into the Hooghly River
- Dunagiri, a Project 17A frigate has been launched into the Hooghly river at Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Limited, Kolkata.
- The ceremony was attended by Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh as the chief guest.
- It is christened after a ‘Dunagiri’, mountain range in the state of Uttarakhand.
- It is the fourth ship of P17A Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, advanced weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
7. Nasscom partnered with Google for DigiVaani Call Center
- Nasscom Foundation has joined hands with Google to set up a call centre named “DigiVaani Call Center”, in collaboration with a not-for-profit body Indian Society of Agribusiness Professionals (ISAP).
- Aim: To help women farmers scale up their business.
- This pilot project is being conducted in six states — Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Haryana and Rajasthan.
- Nasscom Chairperson: Krishnan Ramanujam
8. Paper Import Monitoring System to come into effect from 1 October
- Paper Import Monitoring System will come into effect from 1st October 2022, an importer need to provide advance information online about the import of papers and obtain a registration number.
- It is applicable on import by a Domestic Territory Area unit on a wide range of paper products covering 201 tariff lines, such as newsprint, handmade paper, tissue paper, toilet paper and cartons.
- The automatic registration number shall remain valid for a period of 75 days.
9. UIDAI launches a new mobile app, 'AadhaarFaceRd'
- UIDAI has launched a new mobile app named “AadhaarFaceRd".
- Aim: To perform face authentication through mobile app from anywhere and at any time.
- Through this verification, an Aadhaar holder's real identity is validated and recorded in the databases of UIDAI which was captured at the time of Aadhaar enrolment.
- Aadhaar Face Authentication technology has been developed inhouse by UIDAI.
- Benefits of Aadhaar FaceRD: Jeevan Pramaan, Ration Distribution (PDS)
Banking & Finance
10. SBI General Insurance partners with nurture.farm and Future Generali
- Agri-tech startup nurture.farm has partnered with the SBI General Insurance and Future Generali India Insurance Company to expand its insurance solutions for farmers.
- nurture.farm is an open digital platform for growers, farming communities and food systems.
- The company had recently received a corporate agency licence from IRDAI to enable nurture.farm, to help farmers access innovative insurance solutions at cost-effective price points.
Science & Technology
11. Agnikul Cosmos inaugurates factory for 3D printing rocket engines
- Agnikul Cosmos (Chennai-based space-tech start-up) has opened its Rocket Factory-1, India’s first-ever rocket facility dedicated to 3D printed rocket engines at scale.
- The facility at IIT Madras Research Park was unveiled by N Chandrasekaran, Chairman, TATA Sons with ISRO Chairman S Somanath being the Guest of Honour.
- The IIT Madras incubated start-up became the first Indian company to sign an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation in December 2020.
National & International Organizations
12. Infosys acquires BASE life science for €110 million
- Infosys has signed an agreement to acquire life sciences consulting and tech firm BASE life science for up to $€ 110$ million in an all cash deal.
- The BASE life science brings Infosys domain experts commercial, medical, digital marketing, and clinical.
- It will also help to deepen the life sciences domain capabilities and strengthen its footprint across Europe.
- The BASE collaborates with software technology providers such as Veeva, IQVIA, and Salesforce.