Daily Current Affairs: 06 Aug 2020
1. Renaming of Khel Ratna Award
Khel Ratna Award will hereby be called the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award: PM
- The award, previously known as Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, is given for spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- This is considered the highest sporting honour in the country given by the government.
- The first Khel Ratna Award was bestowed upon chess player Vishwanathan Anand in 1991-92.
- The award carries a medallion, a certificate and a cash prize.
Know more about the other sports awards given by the government of India in PIB dated May 20, 2021.
2. National Innovation on Climate Resilient Agriculture
About National Innovation on Climate Resilient
- A network project ‘National Innovation on Climate Resilient Agriculture’ (NICRA) was launched by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 2011.
- The project aims at strategic research on adaptation and mitigation, demonstration of technologies on farmers’ fields and creating awareness among farmers and other stakeholders to minimize the climatic change impacts on agriculture.
- Thrust areas of the programme:
- Identifying most vulnerable districts/regions
- Evolving crop varieties and management practices for adaptation and mitigation
- Assessing climate change impacts on livestock, fisheries and poultry and identifying adaptation strategies
- Components of NICRA:
- Strategic Research
- Technology Demonstration
- Capacity Building
- Sponsored/Competitive Grants
- Objectives of NICRA:
- To enhance the resilience of Indian agriculture covering crops, livestock and fisheries to climatic variability and climate change through development and application of improved production and risk management technologies.
- To demonstrate site specific technology packages on farmers’ fields for adapting to current climate risks.
- To enhance the capacity building of scientists and other stakeholders in climate resilient agricultural research and its application.
3. G20 Digital Ministers’ Meeting
Declaration for “Leveraging Digitalization for a Resilient, Strong, Sustainable and Inclusive Recovery” adopted at G20 Digital Ministers’ Meeting.
- The declaration was adopted at the G20 Digital Ministers’ Meeting hosted by Italy.
- The Ministers agreed to work towards the enhanced cooperation on the pillars of Digital Economy and Digital Government.
Know more about G20 in the link.
4. SATYAM Programme
About the SATYAM Programme:
- The ‘Science and Technology of Yoga and Meditation’ (SATYAM) Programme was conceptualised in 2015 by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) under its Cognitive Science Research Initiative (CSRI).
- The programme is aimed to foster scientific research on the effects of yoga and meditation on physical & mental health and on cognitive functioning in healthy people as well as in patients with disorders.
- Basic themes being covered under SATYAM include, among others, (1) investigations on the effect of Yoga and Meditation on physical and mental health and well-being, and (2) investigations on the effect of Yoga and Meditation on the body, brain, and mind in terms of basic processes and mechanisms.
- The programme is aimed at scientists, clinicians, as well as experienced practitioners of Yoga and meditation with a proven track record.
About Cognitive Science Research Initiative (CSRI):
- The DST initiated CSRI in 2008 to foster scientific research in the interdisciplinary field of Cognitive Science for a better understanding of Indian mind sets, languages and cognitive disorders, etc.
- CSRI facilitates a platform to the scientific community to work for better solution of challenges related to cognitive disorders and social issues through various psychological tools & batteries, early diagnosis & better therapies, intervention technologies and rehabilitation programmes.
- Cognitive Science Research Initiative is aimed to revolutionize research in various fields, such as:
- Nature and origins of mental disorders, of physiological, social and neuro-chemical origins.
- Design of better learning tools and educational paradigms.
- Design of better software technologies and artificial intelligence devices.
- Streamlining of social policy formulation and analysis.
5. Pensilungpa Glacier
Pensilungpa Glacier in Zanskar region of Ladakh retreating, says study.
- The study was conducted by scientists from the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG), Dehradun.
- Their field observations over four years (2015-19) showed that the glacier is now retreating at an average rate of 6.7 metres per annum.
- The study has attributed this to an increase in the temperature and decrease in precipitation during winter.
- The study also points at the significant influence of debris cover on the mass balance and retreat of the glacier’s endpoint, especially in summer.
- The study also suggests that due to continuous rise in the air temperature in line with the global trend, the melting would increase, and it is possible that the precipitation of summer periods at
- higher altitudes will change from snow to rain, and that may influence the summer and winter patterns.
Also read: Gangotri Glacier
6. PM-DAKSH Yojana
PM-DAKSH portal and mobile app launched.
About PM-DAKSH Yojana:
- The Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana is being implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment from the year 2020-21.
- Under this Yojana, eligible target groups are being provided skill development training programmes on (i) Up-skilling/Re-skilling (ii) Short Term Training Programme (iii) Long Term Training Programme and (iv) Entrepreneurship Development Program (EDP).
- The target groups include marginalized persons of SC, OBC, Economically Backward Classes, De- notified Tribes, Sanitation workers including waste pickers, manual scavengers, transgenders and other similar categories
7. National Handloom Day
7th National Handloom Day observed on 7th August.
Know more about the National Handloom Day in the linked article.
TRIFED celebrated its 34th Foundation Day.
Know more about TRIFED in the linked article.