Ethics is a branch of philosophy. It is a study of moral principles. Ethics is very easy to understand but scoring in IAS Mains Ethics paper is quite challenging. In this article, we provide a glimpse of major ethical theories, which are helpful for last minute revision.
1. Descriptive ethics
- What do people think is right?
- It is the study of people’s views about moral beliefs.
- It does not prescribe any specific action or value.
- It analyses moral reasoning behind the moral action.
- What does "right" even mean?
- It focuses on what actually morality is.
- It does not prescribe any particular action or value.
- It just analyses the nature of ethical properties, statements and attitudes, etc.
3. Normative (prescriptive) ethics
How should people act? It prescribes what ought to be the right action. There are different Normative theories, which are mentioned below:
- Justifies an action, only if it is
- Confucius, Plato, Aristotle, Buddha etc.
- It lays stress neither on the action nor the consequence (result) but on “character of the agent”.
- Ex: being good and doing good (promotes harmony)
- Justifies an action, if it follows a rule or duty.
- Justifies an act according to the motive of an actor.
- Ex: We have a duty to act with fairness.
- Justifies an action is right if the result is more favourable to the greatest number of people.
- Ex: Democratic decision making.
- Justifies action is right, if the result is favourable to all, except the actor.
- Doing selfless service to people with no regard for personal benefit.
- Ex: Gandhi, Mother Theresa etc.
- Justifies an action is right if the result is favourable only to the person.
- Ex: Corrupt officials, Unethical Businessmen etc.
4. Applied ethics
How do we take moral knowledge and put it into practice? For example,
- Application of moral knowledge to resolve current ethical problems related to cloning, abortion, euthanasia, GM crops etc.
- It studies the ethical implications of development models.
- It is to help identify and make ethical choices about social development.
To boost the preparation of all our users, we have come up with some free video (Live Class) series.
Here are the links:
More from us