Definition: A discussion is a verbal form of communication, being initiated by the teacher to develop healthy communication among students in order to draw a fruitful conclusion on the topic as a valuable decision needs to be taken. For discussion, communication plays a major role so the communication channel should be obstacles free and transparency should be maintained both at sender and receiver end.
Importance of Discussion:
1. Discussion helps in bringing a vast pool of ideas, concepts, assumptions and hypothesis on the topic being initiated to draw solutions on the area of the problem. For example -the topic being taken to know why students come late to school during primary classes and why they are not interested in coming to school daily. So valuable talk takes place and reason arrives that student does not feel comfortable during the early days of schooling, they don't like getting up early in the morning and don't like wearing a school uniform that's why they don't like coming to school but when they started making friends and become familiar with teachers they will love to attend school. So measure should be taken at the earliest stage to make them feel comfortable.
2. Discussion helps to work out on a root cause of the problem as the root is plucked out than there will be no chance of that problem to occur again. For example:- the pilot survey is being among a group of student which subject they want to study after lunchtime.
3. Discussion helps in enhancing the thinking skill and decision making power of the students. For example:- as they are given the task to give their views on a particular topic, they will think on it in context to that their mind will start working connecting topic with their environment in order to provide the opinion.
4. Discussion helps one to connect with the external environment. For example:- thinking beyond imagination, via students are taken for a picnic at a farmhouse than they are asked to observe things over there and after coming back thorough discussion being held and then topics of EVS being taught this way only.
5. Discussion helps in grasping things easily and fast. For example:- the topic is being given to students to discuss is Taj Mahal then the group is formed in a group each student will speak at least 5 lines, so this way everyone is able to get plenty amount of information about the Taj Mahal.
Methods of Discussion
1. Brainstorming:- When the panel of experts gather together to discuss on a particular topic and are asked to write down their views on the cards and then cards are collected and then best ideas got selected through discussion.
2. Formal Discussion:- When a proper topic is provided and the conclusion is derived after the rigorous discussion on the topic and important points are considered for future perspective also.
3. Informal Discussion:- When a haphazard discussion takes place and conclusion derive given value, basically it's just a process to collect as much idea as possible.
4. Panel Discussion:- Involves a group of people gathered to discuss a topic in front of an audience, academic conferences.
5. Debate:- Nowadays education is the best topic to debate, here for and against points are considered and the valuable decision is made keeping in view the current requirements.
6. Extempore:- When an instant decision is to be made, a student is given topic to speak for at least 2 minutes, this method promotes instant thinking skill of the students and with little or no preparation.
7. Symposium:- A meeting or conference for the education discussion of some topic especially one in which the participants form an audience and derive conclusion via a valuable decision.
8. Conference Meeting
9. Seminar:- When experts gather together to discuss a particular topic and valuable advice are recorded under the expert panel guidances and their experience are given weightage in the field of excellence.
Advantage of Discussion
1. Discussion helps in the overall development of the child.
2. Discussion helps in bringing a vast pool of ideas and advice.
3. Discussion helps in filling the communication gap between child and teacher.
4. The discussion develops the confidence level among students.
5. Discussion proves to be effective if a person concern with it is being attentive.
Disadvantage of Discussion
1. The discussion turns out to be ineffective if a person concern with it is not interested.
2. The discussion seems to be disruptive if activities related to it are not managed properly.
3. The discussion in the subject like EVS is next to impossible if there are communication gaps.
4. The discussion sometimes may derive conclusion those are not friendly with each student sentiments so conclusion should be made keeping in concern each student need.
5. The discussion sometimes may lead to a misconception among other methods of teachings so it should be managed properly.