In 2021, a Tripartite Agreement, known as the Karbi Anglong Agreement, got signed between 5 revolutionist communities in Assam, the State Government, and the Central Government.
The pact's signing remains in sync with the Central government's idea of a 'revolution free North-East' that envisions an overall evolution of the North-East, harmony, and prosperity.
What is Karbi Anglong Agreement?
After India gained independence in 1947, different tribes of the Northeast, like the Mizo Naga, Bodo, etc., started demanding individual states and full freedom based on their ethnic identity.
Therefore, when the Assam state government announced the Assamese language as the authorized language in 1960, it estranged other racial communities and languages in the area.
This alineation further led to turmoil between ordinary individuals and rebel groups. Given this agitation, the states of Meghalaya and Nagaland were created in 1971 and 1963, respectively. After establishing Meghalaya as a state, the Karbi Anglong district was given a chance to merge with the newly formed state.
However, the community declined to follow greater independence from the State of Assam's reassurances. The Assam State Government more partially or entirely cut the assurance for greater autonomy. It directed to a fresh round of rages in the next few years.
Hence, the Government of India and Assam decided to sign the Karbi Anglong Agreement, which has assured a more significant degree of freedom to the district. Furthermore, there is hope that harmony and prosperity will prevail in this area in the coming years.
Some Important Facts Related to the Karbi Anglong Agreement
- Five rebellious ensembles, PDCK, KLNLF, UPLA, KPLT, and KLF, decided to lay down their constituents and will enter mainstream culture as an outcome.
- The Assam Government and Central Government will assign a unique growth package of INR 1000 crore to develop the Karbi areas by establishing special projects.
- The Karbi Anglong Autonomous Committee will have more freedom than before. This liberty will not impact the administrative virtue of Assam. Moreover, the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council is a self-sustaining district board guarded under the Sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
☛ Also Get: Today's Current Affairs PDF
Understanding the Significance of the Karbi Anglong Agreement
- The Assam State Government will establish a Karbi Welfare Council to oversee the social evolution of the Karbi individuals residing outside the KAAC jurisdiction.
- Under the Karbi Anglong Agreement, 32 schemes estimated at INR 350 crore under the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council package declared under the prior contract are in different phases. The Karbi Anglong Agreement was signed in the presence of:
- Himanta Biswa Sarma, Assam Chief Minister
- Minister of AYUSH, Shipping and Waterways, Sarbananda Sonowal
- Nityanand Rai, Minister of State for Home Affairs,
- Chief Executive Member of Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC)
- Agents of Karbi Longri Liberation Front from North Cachar Hills
- People's Democratic Council of Karbi Longri
- Karbi People's Liberation Tigers
- United People's Liberation Army
- Senior administrators from the Government of Assam and Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
In a nutshell, the Karbi Anglong Agreement is a positive step taken by the Indian government that additionally ensures the safety of the identity, culture, language, etc., of the Karbi residents and the region's growth.
FAQs on Karbi Anglong Agreement
Q.1. What do we mean by Karbi Anglong Agreement?
Karbi Anglong Agreement is a tripartite agreement signed between 5 revolutionist communities in Assam, the State Government, and the Central Government. The pact's signing remains in sync with the Central government's idea of a 'revolution free North-East' that envisions an overall evolution of the North-East, harmony, and prosperity.
Q.2. How many schemes were estimated in the Karbi Anglong Agreement?
Around 32 schemes were estimated at INR 350 crore under the Karbi Anglong Agreement.
Q.3. What was the growth package according to the Karbi Anglong Agreement?
The growth package of the Karbi Anglong Agreement was INR 100 crores.
Q.4. What are the benefits of the Karbi Anglong Agreement?
Due to the Karbi Anglong Agreement, the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council will have more freedom. This liberty will not impact the administrative virtue of Assam. Moreover, Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council is a self-sustaining district board guarded under the Sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitution.
Q.5. When did the Karbi Anglong Agreement get signed?
The Karbi Anglong Agreement got signed in 2021.