Materials is an important topic of the science section of popular government teaching exams like CTET (All India TET), UPTET, TSTET, STET, and other state TETs. The potential science teachers must practise materials questions for TET exams as the science section is compulsory for them. To solve these questions accurately, you need to know about the fundamental concepts related to materials.
The study of materials essentially belongs to the field of chemistry. Materials play a crucial role in understanding various scientific phenomena, resulting in their extensive use and enormous applications in every industry. Below mentioned are all the important topics asked in Materials topic, along with tips to excel at it. Also, check the best books for Materials questions for TET Exams below.
Important Materials Topics for TET Exams
The following topics should be studied before taking up materials practice for TET exams:
Materials and Their Classification
Material is anything that possesses mass and occupies some space. Materials are mainly classified into two types, namely metals and non-metals.
Physical Properties of Metals and Non-Metals
Metals and non-metals differ in terms of physical properties like ductility, malleability, conductivity, hardness, lustre, etc.
Chemical Properties of Metals and Non-Metals
Metals and non-metals react differently with oxygen, water, acids, and bases.
Tips to Answer Materials Questions for TET Exams
Once you have gained the requisite knowledge of materials, you can create your materials short note for TET exams. It is necessary to practise all types of questions to get a good hold over the topic. Additionally, keep the following things in mind while preparing and answering the related questions:
- Learn about the differences between metals and non-metals in physical as well as chemical aspects. Also, you need to know about the exceptions to their general properties.
- Metals and non-metals give different outputs during chemical reactions. However, not all of them are reactive. You must be aware of the popularly used reactive and non-reactive materials.
- In displacement reactions, a more reactive metal replaces a less reactive metal from its compound. You can practise solving a few displacement equations to remember the common reactive and relatively less reactive metals.
Importance of Materials in Science Section of Government Teaching Exams
Go through the following points to know the importance of materials in the science portion of TET exams:
- Questions on materials often feature in the science section of CTET and state TETs.
- In paper/level 2 of CTET, the ‘science and mathematics’ section holds more weightage than any other section. Out of the total 150 questions in the exam, 60 questions are from science and mathematics.
- At least 20-30 questions in the science and mathematics section are science-based. Questions on materials have appeared almost every time in TET exams.
- The concept of materials is considered important as it also relates to some other topics of science syllabus in one way or the other.
Most Recommended Books for Materials
There are several books available for preparing for the topic of materials. You can start learning the basics from NCERT books and then move on to the following ones to practise materials test for TET exams:
CTET Practice Workbook Paper 2 - Science & Mathematics
CTET Success Master Maths & Science Paper 2 for Class 6 to 8
Practice Sets CTET (Paper II) Mathematics & Science (for Classes VI-VIII)
Dr. Santosh Chaudhary
Why Prepare Materials from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep provides an exhaustive preparation package for materials questions with answers for TET exams. Here, you can also access a series of mock tests, study notes, and quizzes devised according to the updated exam pattern of government teaching exams. You can download materials pdf for TET exams for detailed knowledge of the topic. Experienced teachers at BYJU'S Exam Prep are always there to help the aspirants with their doubts and other queries. The platform also extends a community forum where you can interact with your competitors. With BYJU'S Exam Prep's preparation module, you can learn and monitor your progress in materials problems for TET exams. Lastly, it is advised that you frequently take materials online test for TET exams.
Frequently Asked Questions about Materials Questions for TET Exams
- What do metals and non-metals produce with water?
Metals usually produce metal hydroxides with water, but non-metals do not react with water. However, some metals react quickly with water, while others react slowly. For example, metals like sodium are highly reactive, and some others like iron are slow in reacting.
- How do metals and non-metals react with acids?
Metals react with acids to give a metal salt and hydrogen gas. Non-metals are generally non-reactive with acids.
- Are all the metals hard and non-metals soft?
Generally, metals are hard, and non-metals are soft. However, there are a few exceptions, such as diamond (non-metal) is hard, whereas sodium and potassium (metals) are soft.
- What are the applications of metals?
The applications of metals are present in every industry like automobiles, electronics, aerospace, coinage, arts, etc.
- What are the uses of non-metals?
Non-metals like oxygen and nitrogen are indispensable to life. Some of the non-metals are also used in water purification, fertilisers, the medical sector, and similar chemical industries etc.