A pie chart is used to express the relationship between a part-to-whole unit. Each slice of the pie chart shows one part, and all the slices are added together, which equals the whole. It is a visual representation of data. A pie chart is used in everyday lives. It comes under the Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning section of the CAT Exam and is very scoring.
Use of a pie chart:
- In case you want the audience to have an understanding of the parts concerning the whole unit of data.
- To convey a segment of data and its size.
- It is very helpful in the presentation of data in a systematic manner to be understandable by common people as well.
As the understanding of a pie chart helps us draw an interpretation of data, questions related to Pie charts are asked in various MBA entrance exams such as CAT, SNAP, NMAT, CMAT, XAT, IIFT, MAH-CET etc.
Important Pie Charts Topics
A pie chart contains different sectors and segments which represent the total percentage. The total of all segments is 360 degree and in terms of percentage the total value of a pie is 100%.
Percentage for a pie chart
In order to compute percentage, the formula is given as,
Mentioned Data / Total value X 360 degree
Convert X% to angle
x/ 100 X 360
For eg, 20% , (20/100 X 360 degree) = 72 degrees i.e 20% from a 72 degree angle at the centre
Tips to Solve Pie Charts Questions for CAT
- You can solve Pie chart based problems by understanding circle properties and learning about the basic concept of percentage.
- A 360 degree corresponds to 100 per cent.
- To work on a pie chart, consider the size of the angle, i.e. degrees, the value of slice and the total sum of values in a slice.
- Round off to the nearest whole number, fractional equivalent or per cent to ensure the equation is easy to solve
Importance of Pie Charts in CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams
- The Math section is guaranteed to have data analysis questions which can take the form of graphs and charts
- The figures may look intimidating without proper knowledge of percentages, averages and setting of equations
- Data Interpretation tests your analytical and calculative skills
- An understanding of Pie charts can fetch you quick marks if you are good with calculation
Most Recommended Books for Pie Charts
The list of recommended books for solving Pie chart questions for CAT include the following:
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
R. S. Agarwal
Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT
Nishit K. Sinha
Data Interpretation Simplified
Why prepare Pie Charts from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
Speed and time management plays a crucial role in solving such questions. With BYJU'S Exam Prep you get daily practice questions which will give you an edge over other aspirants. You will get a variety of Pie Charts questions, mock tests, practice papers that will help you to solve the questions with accuracy. Moreover, you will also be able to solve CAT Full Mock Tests and review your performance at All India Level. With practice, you will have thousands of questions of different levels, and you will be able to improve your speed and accuracy.
1. What is a pie chart?
It is a visual representation of data. The slices of a pie show different units in relation to the complete pie.
2. What is the use of a pie chart?
The pie charts are used to represent the various units and fractions of the whole unit and understand the contribution of the various parts to the complete chart.
3. How can you calculate the percentage on a pie chart?
To measure the angle of a slice, you can divide it by 360 and multiply the value into 100. The data in terms of percentage will be computed.
4. How to find the pieces of data in a pie chart?
To find the number of data pieces in a pie chart, multiply the percentage with the total number of data sets and then divide it by 100.
5. When can a pie chart be used?
They can be used when you want to compare the data in a visually pleasant format. In case you have categorical data or nominal category, you can use a pie chart; each slice represents a category. Pie charts should be used in case you have a set of data. In a pie chart, a proportion is represented by 100 per cent.
6. When not to use a pie chart?
It can be tough to compare the size of one part of the chart to another, especially when the slices aren’t adjacent to one another and are similar. In such a case, a column or bar chart is used.