The number system topic forms an important topic for CAT and other MBA Entrance Tests. Number System Questions test the logical thinking and reasoning capabilities of the student. The number system test questions demand both logic and math be solved and hence are good for the testing aptitude of the student. The questions are derived from basic math concepts like remainder, HCF/ LCM, quotients, factorization, and more. Questions seem easy, but they aren’t. There are various number of system tricks and tips to solve numerical system questions for CAT.
The numerical system comes in many exams such as CAT, GATE, ONGC, IBPS, SBI PO, and railways IES exams. It also comes in NDA, central, and state government job examinations.
Important Numerical System Topics
Some of the important number system topics that come under the Numerical system topics of quantitative aptitude section are given below:
Properties of numbers
Numbers can be categorized into different types like odd, even, natural, whole, integers, and more. You can be asked to find some number that satisfies any given condition.
Factorization is the simple breaking of any given number into its prime roots. The questions may ask about finding any given factor satisfying any given conditions.
Divisibility rule is Dividend= (Quotient*Divisor) + Remainder. You can be asked to check the divisibility of any given number.
Tips to Solve Numerical System Questions
- Read the different types of numbers and their classifications like odd, even, integers, natural, etc. These classifications can help you cancel the outcome of the available options.
- The remainder theorem questions test your logical skills. You should check for different remainder theorems that can be applied in that particular question.
- Be familiar with the decimal system that has base 10. The different base and surds questions can be compared to this base ten decimal system.
- Read Number System study guides to check various question patterns and their solution strategies.
Importance of Numerical System in Quantitative Section of CAT exams
- CAT exams focus on the logical and problem-solving abilities of the students. Therefore, the numerical system is a favorable topic for this exam.
- Number System questions and answers focus on the analytical ability part of the assessment. You should be prepared for solving these types of questions in the exam.
- They need the students to apply their mathematics and logical part simultaneously to arrive at the answer.
Most Recommended Books for Numerical System
Here are some of the highly recommended books for preparing number system questions for CAT Exam.
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Exam -2017
Why prepare Number System from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is an established education platform that provides excellent quality education for high-level tests and entrance exams. You can get all the preparatory materials like Number System questions and answers PDFs, Number System problems with solutions, Number System questions and solutions for CAT from the BYJU'S Exam Prep website. You must practice Number System practice questions before going for the final CAT exam as it will help you in analyzing your strengths and weaknesses. To get familiar with the topic, you can take the Number System quiz from our website. To prepare you well for the exams, our experienced educators have designed a Number System notes for the students. It will help you in revising the number system topic in a short time.
1. What is the number system definition?
There is no fixed definition for the number system as it comprises a vast area of mathematics. The number system is studied the logical reasoning part of the CAT syllabus.
2. Does the number system come in government exams?
Yes, the number system helps in accessing the analytical and problem-solving capabilities of the student. It is an integral part of the CAT syllabus.
3. Where can I prepare the number system topic for CAT preparation?
There are many good ed-tech sites, including BYJU'S Exam Prep, where you can prepare for the topic. We provide definitions with Number System examples for better understanding.
4. Is the number system an easy topic?
Number system needs logical reasoning capabilities. It is an easy and popular CAT topic that comes in the exam. You can easily prepare for this topic from various online sites.
5. Why is the remainder theorem topic important for a number system?
The remainder theorem tells us the relationship between any divisible numbers in the number line. It forms an important topic for framing remainder questions for the CAT exam.