There are various types of questions that you must be able to tackle to crack the CAT Exam successfully that too, in less time. The miscellaneous questions are frequent in the Arithmetic Section of the CAT Exam. The most important topics under the exam roster comprise a few miscellaneous questions. These questions require out the box thinking and have a few rules to ensure a correct solution. All the sections tested for the CAT exam, including Logical Reasoning, Data Interpretation, Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability, etc. contain a few miscellaneous questions. These are the tricky questions you must be very careful while answering.
Important Miscellaneous Topics for CAT Exam
There is no definite topic that comes under the 'miscellaneous' section of the CAT Exam. Here is a list of some important topics from where miscellaneous questions are asked in the CAT exam.
Quantitative aptitude will comprise of 34 questions in the form of MCQs or Numerical Value Answer(NVA) type questions. In this section, the miscellaneous questions can be asked from any of the aforementioned topics. Trigonometry and Basic Arithmetic are the most tested topics as far as the miscellaneous type of questions is concerned.
VA/RC section also comprises 34 questions in the MCQ format. These include over 17 reading comprehension passages, while others are Verbal Ability based questions. In this section, there are the most miscellaneous types of questions. Although there is nothing called a miscellaneous RC question, VA may have a couple of tough miscellaneous questions that require you to think on your feet and tackle logically to arrive at the correct answer. These are easy questions but are usually quite tricky to understand or conceptualize.
There are a total of 32 questions in the LR/DI section. It is the most time-consuming section of the CAT exam. Almost all questions are simple, but require you to work out the answer quite rigorously. This section contains the most number of miscellaneous questions. Although it is difficult to predict the difficulty level of this section, it depends largely on the IIM setting the question paper. Most miscellaneous questions are asked under cases and puzzles. You may even get miscellaneous questions with respect to syllogisms, data sufficiency or binary logic.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation
Number System and Basic Arithmetic
Seating Arrangement, and Data Arrangement
Geometry & Mensuration
Syllogisms and Venn Diagrams
Permutation & Combination
Sentence Completion and Correction
Assumption and Binary Logic
Clocks & Calendars
Time, Speed, and Distance
Fill in the Blanks
Trigonometry, Logarithms, and Sets
Word Usage (Vocabulary)
Profit, loss, and Discounts
Questions on Graphs
Interests (SI, CI)
Tables and Caselets
Time and Work
| || |
Tips to Solve Miscellaneous Questions
Miscellaneous questions are unconventional in nature. There is no definite pattern to such questions, as far as the CAT Exam is concerned. Miscellaneous questions help test the aspirant’s analytical ability and can be asked in any section of CAT Exam.
- Do not waste too much time solving such miscellaneous questions. It is rather recommended to skip these types of questions if it is time-consuming, and focus only on the ones you can answer with distinctive methods.
- Use your logical ability to decipher what a question means, and keep track of units being used. More often than not, the miscellaneous questions contain tricky unit conversions to derail the candidates.
- Come back to such miscellaneous questions after you are done with all the other questions for the section. This will help you save time and score better.
- Practice such miscellaneous questions from the last 5 years of the CAT exam papers to get a rough idea of how these questions are asked in the real exam.
Importance of Miscellaneous Questions in CAT Exams
Miscellaneous questions in the CAT Exam test the aspirants for their in-depth understanding of the sections. It can be a combination of more than one topic or question types. These are easier to answer, but can also be tricky at times. Hence, these questions are important.
- Miscellaneous questions are built to test a candidate’s analytical abilities and conceptual clarity.
- Miscellaneous questions may combine two or more topics with a definite analogy or answer.
- Miscellaneous questions are not for rote learners. You can’t answer such tricky questions without focus and logic. There is no memory play in such questions.
- Miscellaneous study guides are not read by any aspirant. These are the questions that differentiate the top 2% from the rest.
Most Recommended Books for Miscellaneous CAT Questions
Some of the best books for solving the miscellaneous questions for CAT Exam are as follows:
Name of the book
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning
How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT
Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay/Arihant
Why prepare Miscellaneous Questions for CAT from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is an online exam preparation platform with a simplistic user experience. It is perfect for preparing for major competitive exams such as CAT, XAT, MAT, competitive exams. BYJU'S Exam Prep provides its students with a number of benefits for CAT Live classes, Easy interaction with the experts and faculties, CAT Daily MCQ type quizzes, Several Practice Tests in almost all subjects, Doubt clearing on a discussion board, Well scheduled preparation strategy, Latest exam notifications, etc. for comprehensive preparations.
1. What is the CAT Exam for?
CAT exam is the common admission test for admission into the top tier management institutes and IIMs in India. It is held once every year.
2. What are the sections in the CAT exam 2021?
There are 3 sections to the CAT Exam. They are as follows: 1. LR/DI 2. VA/RC 3. QA.
3. Is there any sectional cutoff in CAT exam?
Yes, there is a sectional cut off for the CAT Exam. You must clear the cut off scores for every section in order to qualify for the top tier management institutions in India.
4. Can I skip miscellaneous questions in the CAT exam?
Yes, you can choose to not answer the conceptual and miscellaneous CAT exam questions. However, you should prepare other type of questions thoroughly so that you do not lose marks.