Logical deduction is an essential deductive and logical reasoning topic asked in various government exams. This question tests the deductive ability of the student for a given set of deductive statements. The logical deduction test questions demand both logic and deductive knowledge from the candidate. The questions are derived from basic concepts of deductive statements, which hold true only if the conclusion follows the statement.
The logical deduction questions form a part of many competitive exams such as CAT, GATE, ONGC, IBPS, SBI PO, and railways exams. There are various logical deduction tricks and tips to solve logical deduction questions for CAT.
Important Logical Deduction Topics
Here are the most important topics for deduction logical topics.
Statement Deductive Logic
In this question, you are given only 2 statements known as premises. You will have to select the following correct deduction from the given premises.
A type of deductive question where you are given multiple facts/statements and conclusions. These multiple facts point out to a certain conclusion. Remember that these statements need not be a universal truth.
Tips to Solve Logical Deduction Questions
Here are some tips that you can follow to prepare for this section of the examination.
- Go through the different facts and try to make a shape for each element. Then use interpretational abilities by coinciding any element shape with others to find the answer.
- The logical deduction questions test your deduction and reasoning skills; you should keep looking for any pattern that connects the given premises.
- Be familiar with the different types of words and vocabulary that are imperative for Logical Deduction questions.
- Read Logical Deduction study guides to check various question patterns and study their solution strategies.
Importance of Logical Deduction in Quantitative Section of CAT Exam
Following are the importance of Logical Deduction for the CAT exam:
- CAT exam focuses on the students’ logical reasoning and problem-solving ability; hence, logical deduction is a hot topic for this exam.
- Logical deduction questions and answers focus on the reasoning ability part of the assessment. They need the students to apply their interpretational and data analyzing skills simultaneously to arrive at the answer.
- This topic is also important for other exams such as GATE and NDA. The logical reasoning part of the CAT exam is necessary to pass and hence requires good preparation.
- Logical deduction works in our real life too. We can deduce by seeing smoke coming out from tea that it is hot. Hence it is a test of common sense too.
Most Recommended Books for Logical Deduction
Following books can be referred for CAT preparation in the Logical Deduction:
Logical Reasoning- CAT
Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT
Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation for the CAT
Nikhil K. Sinha
Why Prepare Logical Deduction from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is a unique educational platform that provides excellent tutorials for high-level tests and entrance exams. For mastering your skills in solving logical deduction questions, you will get all the preparatory materials like logical deduction questions and answers pdf, logical deduction questions, and solutions from the BYJU'S Exam Prep library. You must try your hand to solve many logical deduction practice questions before appearing for the CAT main exam, as it will help you assess your weak areas. To get familiar with the exam by taking a logical deduction quiz and practice to improve. To help students prepare well for the exams, our experienced educators have made logical deduction notes. It will help you to revise the logical deduction topics in a short time.
Ques. What is the logical deduction definition?
There is a simple logical deduction as it comprises a vast area of logical reasoning. Deducing any given fact from a given set of premises is called logical deduction.
Ques. Do the logical deduction questions come in government exams?
Yes, Logical Deduction helps in assessing the deductive and logical capabilities of the student. It is an integral part of the government exam syllabus.
Ques. How can I prepare for the logical deduction?
There are many good ed-tech sites, including BYJU'S Exam Prep, where you can prepare for the topic. They provide definitions with logical deduction examples for better understanding.
Ques. Is logical deduction an easy topic to learn?
Logical deduction needs a good amount of deductive and reasoning capabilities. It is a heavy CAT logical reasoning topic that comes in the exam. You can easily prepare for this topic from various online sites.
Ques. Can we use universal truth facts to conclude?
No, any logical deduction question is based on arbitrary facts taken from the world. You shouldn’t be using the actual universal facts to arrive at the answer, as it may totally deviate from the question. Always use the given premises in the question to deduce conclusions.