Geometry is the understanding of relations and properties of lines, shapes, surfaces, etc. It is an important topic in the Quantitative Aptitude (QA) section of the CAT exam over the years. We measure the length, area, angles, relation between angles, etc., in the geometry of lines, triangles, polygons, circles, etc. You will need to learn various theorems and formulas besides the geometry definitions to be able to solve CAT exam questions. You will also encounter questions regarding applications of geometry in real-life in the CAT examination. The more you solve geometry questions for CAT exam, the better you will get at it to solve with accuracy.
Important Geometry Topics
The topics from which geometry questions for CAT are asked are as follows:
Ratio of Intercepts
If three parallel lines are intercepted by a transversal, then the ratio of intercepts formed is equal to the ratio of intercepts formed by any other transversal, i.e.,
ab=cd=ef , where a, b, c, d, e, and f are intercepts.
For a triangle ABC, if AD is the median from point A to the length BC, then:
AB2 + AC2= 2 (AD2 + BD2)
If a, b, and c are sides of a triangle then,
half perimeter (s) = (a + b + c)/2, and the area of the triangle will be:
Area=√s(s - a)(s - b)(s - c)
Area of Triangle Using Trigonometry
If a, b, and c are the three sides of a triangle and A, B, and C are the three angles of the same triangle, then the area of the triangle is:
½ bc * sinA or ½ ab * sinC or ½ ac * sinB
If 'a' and 'b' are two sides of a triangle other than hypotenuse 'c' then,
c2 = a2 + b2
Various topics come under the circle section in geometry like common tangents, the angle made by secants in a circle, direct and transverse common tangents, etc.
Calculation of total/lateral surface area, volume, slant height, etc., of various shapes like a hemisphere, frustum, cone, cylinder, etc. is done under 3D geometry.
Equations of lines, quadrants, slope intercepts, graphical representation of lines, etc., come under coordinate geometry.
Tips to Solve/Prepare Geometry Questions
- If you get stuck on any particular geometry question in the CAT exam, then move on to the next question. You can solve it later.
- Write down the geometry formulas on sticky notes and paste them in your study room. It will help you memorize the formulas.
- Besides being able to solve geometry numerical questions, you should also be able to understand the application of geometry. Refer to the geometry questions and answers of previous CAT exams.
Importance of Geometry in CAT Exam
- In real life, geometry helps us decide what materials to use while making a structure. It also helps us design structures. Your understanding of geometric shapes will be judged by geometry test questions in the CAT.
- One can expect around 4-6 geometry questions in the CAT exam. This moderate number of questions can make a huge difference in competitive exams.
- Each question in the CAT exam is of 3 marks. Geometry questions are definite in the CAT exam, and you don’t want to lose any marks.
- Your numerical skills and speed in solving problems will also be tested via geometry questions in the CAT examination. Solving many geometry practice questions will increase your speed and accuracy.
Most Recommended Books for Geometry
Some of the best books for referring geometry examples and geometry tricks are as follows:
NCERT Mathematics from class 9 to 12
R.D. Sharma (9th and10th)
Quantitative Aptitude for CAT
Quantitative Aptitude Quantum
Why Prepare Geometry from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
At BYJU'S Exam Prep, you will get access to a variety of questions on Geometry for CAT. You will be provided with Geometry Mock Tests for CAT in the CAT Full-length test series as well as section-wise test series. The Geometry questions will be varying difficulties that will help you in fetching full marks in the geometry questions for CAT Exam. You will also get access to unlimited geometry quizzes by opting for the paid version of BYJU'S Exam Prep. Along with getting geometry study guides, you will also be part of the excellent BYJU'S Exam Prep community. You can access geometry problems with solutions via the BYJU'S Exam Prep mobile application, website, or YouTube channel.
1. Is there negative marking for incorrect answers in the CAT exam?
Yes, 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer in the CAT exam.
2. Do I have to write answers subjectively in the CAT exam?
A majority of CAT questions are MCQs. You will have to choose the correct answer from four given options. However, a few non-MCQ questions are also asked in the CAT exam.
3. What is the total marking in the CAT exam?
CAT examination is of 300 marks in total.
4. Will I be asked geometry questions based on theorems and formulas?
Yes. But, besides these questions, you can also be tested on the applications of geometry in the CAT exam. You can refer to geometry notes on BYJU'S Exam Prep to know more about geometry questions in the CAT exam.
5. What is the language of the CAT examination?
CAT examination is conducted in the English language.