The bar chart definition tells us about a chart or graph representing data using rectangular bars which can be plotted horizontally or vertically. One axis of the bar chart shows categories that are compared while the other axis represents a particular value. Some bar graphs represent bar data in groups of more than one, which shows the importance of more than one variable. Bar Chart Questions are very scoring if practiced with accuracy. Understanding of a bar chart helps us draw an interpretation of data and questions and work on bar chart tricks which are asked in various MBA entrance exams such as CAT, SNAP, NMAT, CMAT, XAT, IIFT, MAH-CET, etc.
Important Bar Charts Topics
Here are a few important topics that some under Bar Chart for CAT Exam.
Make sure you learn about the basics of percentage, averages, and ratio-proportion to solve bar chart quiz problems as you practice.
Understanding of bar charts
Check both the X-axis and Y-axis to learn about the data and how to start a question.
Tips to Solve Bar Charts Questions for CAT
Learn all about Bar chart practice questions and ways to solve them. Get the tips along with bar chart problems with solutions to solve such questions.
- You can solve Bar chart based problems by understanding of the graphs and learning about the basic concept of percentage; you should read the data carefully to understand what it represents.
- An understanding of percentages, averages, and ratio-proportion is useful as most of the questions revolve around them, and the better you understand these topics, the quicker you’ll be able to solve the problems.
- Expect 1-2 data sets, so work on your essential calculation tips to solve such types of problems.
- Make your bar chart notes based on your understanding of the topic to help you quickly revise it.
Importance of Bar Charts in CAT & other MBA Entrance Exams
Data interpretation includes bar chart based questions which require comparison of values related to different years/months/ profits etc.
- Bar chart questions require data Interpretation; through these questions, the exams test your analytical and calculative skills.
- If mastered well, bar charts can help you score marks in the quantitative aptitude section.
- Usually, one such question of 3-5 marks is asked in the exam, so better not leave this topic while preparing.
- The questions may seem lengthy at first, but the key is to identify the important pieces of data and approach the question accordingly.
Most Recommended Books for Bar Charts
The list of recommended books and bar chart study guides includes the following:
Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency
Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT Book
Nishit K. Sinha
Data Interpretation Simplified Book
Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations
Why Prepare Bar Charts from BYJU'S Exam Prep? You need speed and time management while solving such questions. With BYJU'S Exam Prep you can daily practice bar chart questions for CAT which will give you an edge over other aspirants. You can even watch practice videos and learn more about bar chart questions and solutions. You can download the BYJU'S Exam Prep to practice daily free questions to understand your weak areas and work on them accordingly. The platform also conducts free live mocks with all India scores to help you understand your position in the competition. With practice, you will have thousands of bar chart questions and answers pdf of different levels, and you will be able to improve your speed and accuracy. The key is to keep on practising and getting acquainted with bar chart questions and answers. The more you practice, the better you will be able to comprehend and solve questions in time.
1. What is the Bar chart?
It is a visual representation of data in the form of bars. The bars show different units about the complete data.
2. What is the weightage of bar chart questions in the exam?
Usually, the number of questions based on bar charts range from 3-5. So these, if practised properly, can fetch you crucial marks in the exam.
3. How long does it take to get a grip over Bar chart questions?
It all depends upon your learning related to topics such as percentage, averages and basic calculation. Since these questions are based on simple arithmetic topics, they can include complex calculations. So a thorough knowledge of arithmetic topics and practice of basic calculation can help you ace this topic.
4. From where can I prepare Bar questions?
The list of sources has been mentioned. If you wish to practice more of these questions with a knowledge of your weakness and strengths, you can download the BYJU'S Exam Prep app for practice.
5. What are the different types of Bar charts?
A Bar chart shows data in horizontal or vertical bars. The bar length is based on the proportion of data it represents. There are three different types of bar charts, which include the following:
- Vertical bar chart
- Horizontal bar chart
- Double bar chart