Daily Current Affairs 19th May 2022
Important News: International
BRICS Foreign Ministers Meeting
Why in News:
- BRICS Foreign Ministers' meeting has been held in China to prepare for the 14th BRICS summit.
- The BRICS Foreign Ministers' Meeting held in China has been organized in a virtual form, which is hosted by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
- The theme of the BRICS Foreign Ministers' Meeting is 'Promoting High Quality BRICS Partnership in a New Era for Global Development'.
- India's Foreign Minister Dr. Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation Naledi Pandor, Brazilian Foreign Minister Carlos Alberto Franco Franca and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov attended the BRICS Foreign Ministers' Meeting.
What is the BRICS Group?
- The idea of the BRICS group was first introduced by the leading economist Jim O'Neill.
- BRICS is a grouping of the world's five leading emerging economies- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa whose first summit was held in 2009 in Yekaterinburg, Russia.
Source: News on Air
Important News: India
Annual Conference of Relief Commissioners and Secretaries of Disaster Management Departments of States and Union Territories
Why in News:
- The Annual Conference of Relief Commissioners of States and Union Territories and Secretaries of Disaster Management Departments was inaugurated by Union Home Secretary Ajay Kumar Bhalla.
- The Annual Conference of Relief Commissioners of States and Union Territories and Secretaries of Disaster Management Departments is a two-day conference organized in New Delhi.
- The main objective of the conference is to review the preparedness of the States and Union Territories to deal with natural calamities during the Southwest Monsoon.
- For the first time after a gap of two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual conference has been held physically in New Delhi.
- The main goal of the conference is to ascertain how each state can develop long-term infrastructure for disaster relief.
Source: All India Radio
Workshop organized by National Commission for Women on issues related to women
Why in News:
- Workshop organized by National Commission for Women in New Delhi to focus on issues related to women and representation of women in media.
- The workshop organized by the National Commission for Women was divided into three technical sessions in which-
- 'Gender-Sensitive Indicators for Media in Media Operations and Content',
- 'Challenges faced by women media professionals'
- Role of Media in Empowerment of Women', has been included.
- The objective of the workshop is to provide media stakeholders with more platforms for solutions to women's problems and stories of women's empowerment and leadership.
- The goal of the workshop is to inform the public about women's rights and the resources available to them in case such rights are violated.
National Women Commission
- The National Commission for Women was set up as a statutory body in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990.
- The National Commission for Women was constituted on 31 January 1992 under the chairmanship of Jayanti Patnaik.
- The National Commission for Women is composed of a Chairperson, a Member Secretary and five other members.
Indian Pavilion inaugurated at Cannes Film Festival
Why in News:
- The Indian Pavilion has been inaugurated at the Cannes Film Festival by Minister of Information and Broadcasting Anurag Singh Thakur.
- Along with the inauguration of the Indian Pavilion, the poster of the 53rd International Film Festival of India to be held in Goa has also been unveiled by the Union Minister Anurag Thakur.
- India has been accorded the status of a country of honour at the Marche du Film Festival organized along with the Cannes Film Festival.
- Incentives of up to 30 per cent cash assistance with a limit of $260 thousand will be provided for the production and shooting of foreign films in India.
- At the inauguration of the Indian Pavilion at the Cannes Film Festival, it was announced that foreign films to be made in India will be offered an additional bonus with a limit of $65,000 for hiring 15% or more Indian individuals.
What is the International Film Festival of India?
- International Film Festival of India was started in the year 1952 in Mumbai.
- International Film Festival was organized in Goa in the year 2004. Since then, International Film Festival is organized every year in Goa.
Important News: State
MyGov Karnataka Portal
Why in News:
- MyGov Karnataka portal has been launched by the Chief Minister of Karnataka, Shri Basavaraj Bommai to promote participatory governance in the state of Karnataka.
- After adopting the MyGov Karnataka portal, Karnataka has become the 17th state in India to adopt the MyGov initiative.
- MyGov is the world's largest and most successful program in terms of direct citizen interaction.
- Citizens of the state can share their views and suggestions with the government after registering on the MyGov portal.
- MyGov Karnataka aims to promote active citizen participation and engagement in governance and policymaking, with a focus on the dissemination of timely and authentic information about the welfare schemes of the Government.
What is My Gov Portal?
- My Gov (MyGov) portal was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 26 July 2014.
- The objective of the MyGov portal is to ensure participation in the schemes of the general public, on the basis of their suggestions, to give shape to the plans of the government.
Arunachal Pradesh's Sela Tunnel Project
Why in News:
- The strategically important Sela Tunnel project has been constructed in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Situated in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh, the tunnel project provides an alternate axis to the Sela Pass,
- The Sela Tunnel Project of Arunachal Pradesh is located at an altitude of 13,700 feet. And its length is more than 300 km.
- The Sela Tunnel is being constructed by the Border Roads Organisation. The project consists of two tunnels and a link road.
- The connectivity road distance between the newly constructed tunnels will be 1,200 meters, with Tunnel 2 being one of the longest tunnels constructed at an altitude of more than 13,000 feet.
Source: Indian Express
Important News: Art and Culture
'Youth Shivir' organized by Shree Swaminarayan Mandir
Why in News:
- With the aim of involving more and more youth in social service and nation building, 'YuvaShivir' was organized by Shree Swaminarayan Mandir.
- 'YuvaShivir' is jointly organized by Shree Swaminarayan Mandir, Kundaldham and Shree Swaminarayan Mandir Karelibagh, Vadodara.
- 'YuvaShivir' has been organized in Vadodara, Gujarat and 'YuvaShivir' has been addressed virtually by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The 'YuvaShivir' aims at making youth partners in building a new India through initiatives like 'Ek Bharat, Shrestha Bharat', 'Atmanirbhar Bharat', 'Clean India' etc.
- Swaminarayan was born in 1781 in Chhapia, Uttar Pradesh. In 1792, he embarked on a seven-year pilgrimage across India at the age of 11, adopting the name Neelkanth Varni.
- In 1800, Swaminarayan was inducted into the Uddhava sect by his guru Swami Ramananda and was given the name of Sahajanand Swami.
- In 1802, Swaminarayan ji was handed over the leadership of the Uddhav sect.
- Sahajanand Swami organized a meeting and taught the Swaminarayan Mantra. From this point on, he is known as Swaminarayan and the Uddhava sect is known as the Swaminarayan sect.
Important News: Defence
Indian Navy P8I Aircraft
Why in News:
- Indian Defense Minister, Shri Rajnath Singh during his visit to Mumbai made a flight onboard the Indian Navy P8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Anti-Submarine Warfare Aircraft, showcasing various capabilities by the Indian Navy.
- During the visit, the Indian Navy demonstrated long range surveillance, electronic warfare, imagery intelligence, ASW missions and search and rescue capabilities employing state-of-the-art mission suits and sensors.
- P8I aircraft were inducted into the Indian forces in 2013.
- The P-8I aircraft incorporates state-of-the-art sensors such as multi-mode radar, electronic intelligence system, sonobuoy, electro-optic, infrared cameras and advanced weaponry.
- P-8I aircraft have been used along the International Border, the Line of Control and the Line of Actual Control to monitor the movements of adversaries.
কারেন্ট অ্যাফেয়ার্সটি PDF তে ডাউনলোড করুন -