The Famous Temples in Maharashtra are Siddivinayak Temple, Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Yamai Devi Temple, Chintamani Temple, Bhimshamkar Temple, etc. Maharashtra is a state in the southern region of India and is known for its rich heritage. The famous temples in Maharashtra attract devotees from all parts of the country all year round.
Some of the most worshipped gods in Maharashtra are Lord Ganesha, Lord Shiva, etc. Find out the names of the most famous temples in Maharashtra, their history, and their significance here.
Famous Temples in Maharashtra
The architecture and spiritual grandeur of the Famous Temples in Maharashtra is worth witnessing once in life. There are numerous Hindu temples in the state of Maharashtra, some of which were built centuries ago. One of the most well-known temples in Maharashtra is the Siddivinayak Temple, which is frequently visited by celebrities from all over the world.
The plethora of ancient temples and shrines in Maharashtra attracts pilgrims, devotees, and architecture enthusiasts in the state. If you are planning to visit the state, check out the names of the Maharashtra temples you should visit below.
Top 10 Temples in Maharashtra
The state of Maharashtra has an incredible history. The great kings built several temples in Maharashtra, which still stand to this day. Check out the names and details of the top 10 temples in Maharashtra below.
Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
- The Shirdi Sai Baba Temple is among the most famous temples in Maharashtra.
- Every year, millions of devotees visit the temple to seek the blessings of the god and honor Sai Baba.
- A legend associated with the temple is that Sai Baba came to the village where this temple is located and attained Samadhi there.
- Siddivinayak Temple is one of the richest temples in the world. The main idol in the temple is made using 4 kilograms of pure gold and the net worth of this temple is around 125 crore rupees.
- The Siddivinayak Temple is dedicated to Lord Ganesha and is among the most famous temples in Maharashtra.
- Some of the most famous people have visited this temple to seek the blessings of Lord Ganesha, including many Bollywood celebrities and Tim Cook, the CEO of Apple.
Yamai Devi Temple
- The Yamai Devi Temple is dedicated to the Hindu goddess Yamai or Mahishasur Mardini.
- This temple is among the most-visited temples in Maharashtra. The temple premises is located on a hilltop overlooking a valley in Aundh.
- The idol of the fierce goddess of the temple is adorned with a Trishul, gada arrow, and paan patra.
Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga Temple
- The Trimbakshwar Jyotirlinga Temple is the famous sacred bathing venue, the Kushavarta Kund, which receives its water from the Godavari River.
- The origins of this temple date back to hundreds of years ago. This famous temple in Maharashtra was built by Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao.
- The Trimbakshwar Jyotirlinga Temple also has the three lingams of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva on its premises.
- The Ganpatipule is a 400-year-old temple dedicated to Lord Ganapati.
- This is one of the most famous temples in Maharashtra because it is believed that a self-incarnated idol of Lord Ganapati was found here.
- The atmosphere around this temple is peaceful and amazing, which is why it attracts a lot of tourists from all over the country.
- Located in Pune, Maharashtra, the Moreshwar Temple is dedicated to Lord Ganapati.
- Being one of the Ashtavinayak temples, the Moreshwar temple is among the most visited temples in Maharashtra.
- The idols of other deities are also placed in this temple to whom people pray religiously
- The Chintamani temple was built by Shri Dharanidhar Dev to honor Lord Ganesha.
- This Maharashtra temple houses a Ganesha statue that is believed to be around a hundred years old.
- The best time to visit the Chintamani Temple is during the Rama-Madhav Punyostav, Ganesh Prakatostav, and Mahotsav Festival.
- Bhimshankar Temple is one of the most famous Maharashtra temples because of the amazing trek that one has to do to visit the temple premises.
- This temple is one of the twelve Jyotirlinga shrines in India. The deity of this temple is Lord Shiva, who is also one of the most worshipped deities in Maharashtra.
- The Bhimshankar Temple is definitely one of the most popular temples in Maharashtra.
- The Harishareshwar Temple is located in the Raigad district of Maharashtra.
- This Maharashtra temple is surrounded by four hills on its four sides, including the Harshinachal, Harihareshwar, Bramhadri, and Pushpadri.
- Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this is one of the must-visit temples in Maharashtra for Shaivites.
- The Shani Shingnapur Temple is dedicated to the Shani Mahadev god.
- People visit this famous temple in Maharashtra to pray to god Shani and seek his blessings.
- The Shani Shingnapur Temple is located around 72 km from the Shirdi, which is another popular location for Hindu pilgrims and devotees.
FAQs on Famous Temples in Maharashtra
Q1. Which are the famous temples in Maharashtra?
The famous temples in Maharashtra are Siddivinayak Temple, Shirdi Sai Baba Temple, Yamai Devi Temple, Chintamani Temple, Kolhapur Temple, Bhimshamkar Temple, Trimbakeshwar Jyotirlinga Temple, Moreshwar Temple, etc.
Q2. How many famous temples are there in Maharashtra?
There are hundreds of temples in Maharashtra, many of which are dedicated to Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva. People from all parts of the country come to visit these temples in Maharashtra to seek the blessings of the gods.
Q3. Which is the richest temple in Maharashtra?
The richest temple in Maharashtra is the Siddivinayak Temple. The main Vinayak idol in the temple is made using 4 kilograms of pure gold. Moreover, the net worth of Siddivinayak temple is estimated at around 125 crore rupees.
Q4. Which are the three Ganapati temples in Maharashtra?
There are several Ganapati temples in Maharashtra. The names of the three Ganapati temples in Maharashtra are shared as follows.
- Chintamani Temple
- Siddivinayak Temple
Q5. Which is the oldest temple in Maharashtra?
The Trivikrama Temple is the oldest temple in Maharashtra. This ancient Hindu temple is dedicated to Vamana, an avatar of Lord Vishnu. Some people believe that the Trivikrama Temple was originally a Buddhist temple.
Q6. Where can I get the list of famous temples in Maharashtra?
The list of famous temples in Maharashtra is shared here. If you are planning to visit Maharashtra, you would not want to miss experiencing the spiritual energy present in the beautiful and ancient Maharashtra temples. Check out the list of famous temples in Maharashtra here.