By : Neha Dhyani
Updated : Apr 26, 2022, 14:45
The prime minister of India, Narendra Modi, has a vision of India's prime focus in the 21st century, which includes the production and distribution of ethanol all across a robust network pan India through the E-100 Project.
Ethanol has a great influence on the lives of the farmers and the environment as well. So the government aims at blending 20% ethanol into petrol or gasoline, which currently is 8.5%.
E-100 Project - Importance of Ethanol
- Ethanol blending is important to reduce vehicle exhaust emissions and also minimize the import burden on crude petroleum, thus focusing on minimizing the cost of oil imports and boosting and ensuring energy safety.
- As explained in the E-100 Pilot Project, every Ethanol molecule comprises oxygen which facilitates the engine to combust fuel completely, thus resulting in reducing auto emissions and eventually reducing environmental pollution by controlling the emissions impact of carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen oxides.
- Being a by-product of the sugar industry, ethanol is a renewable resource made naturally by fermenting carbohydrates like sugarcane juice or molasses or ethylene hydration procedure. This also leads to considerable diminution of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and also hydrocarbons.
- Promote farmer's incentives by facilitating oil firms to buy ethanol from farmers and thus helping them promote sugarcane growth.
- Last but not least, non-food feedstock and water-saving crops such as maize promote ample production of ethanol is what the E-100 Project looks forward to.
E-100 Project Objective
- A colossal undertaking by the government of India, the main objective is the pan-India distribution of ethanol through the E-100 Pilot Project.
- Announced in line with the World Environment day, benefits of promoting biofuels for an improved environment and living conditions, our PM has launched the Reports of the Expert Committee on Road map for ethanol blending in 2020-2025. So the main motive is to create a better environment and also the lives of farmers.
☛ Also Get: Daily Current Affairs PDF
Initiatives by the E-100 Pilot Project
The government is making all efforts to build the required infrastructure for ethanol production. Some very important policies that have been considered under the E-100 Pilot Project are:
- The National Policy on Bio-fuels under the ethanol Blended petrol (EBP) makes it mandatory for the vehicles to display labels indicating E20, E85 or E100.
- Operate Flex-fuel engines with blended gasoline anywhere between E20 and E100.
- E-100 Pilot Project launched in Pune to promote Apache two-wheelers to run on E100
- Establishment of commercial projects in the 2G ethanol industry through Pradhan Mantri Ji-van Yojna (PMJVY)
- The enormous Gobardhan Scheme to improve sanitation and simultaneously generate cash and electricity from organic waste.
FAQs on E-100 Project
Q1. What is the E-100 Project?
Ans: E-100 Project is a massive Initiative by the government to promote the production and distribution of eco-friendly ethanol in Pan India.
Q2. Who launched the E-100 Project?
Ans: The honourable Prime Minister, Mr Narendra Modi, launched the E-100 Project.
Q3. In which city did PM Modi launch the E-100 Project?
Ans: The E-100 Project was launched in Pune to mark World Environment Day.
Q4. What is the main objective of the E-100 Project?
Ans: The main objective of the E-100 Project is the pan-India distribution of ethanol to reduce the import of crude oil burden and create a better environment.
Q5. How does the use of ethanol help in reducing emissions as per the E-100 Project?
Ans: The E-100 Project encourages ethanol blending, which reduces auto emissions and eventually environmental pollution by controlling the emissions impact of carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen oxides in automobiles.