Daily Current Affairs 20 May 2022
Two-day National Workshop on Sowa-Rigpa Medical System
Why in News:
- A two-day National Workshop on Sowa-Rigpa for Sowa-Rigpa practitioners of North Eastern States has been organized in collaboration with Namgyal Tibet Institute of Science (NIT), Sikkim, National Sowa-Rigpa Institute under the Ministry of AYUSH.
- A two-day National Workshop on Sowa-Rigpa Medical System will be organized from 20-21 May 2022.
- The formal inauguration of the workshop on the Sowa-Rigpa Medical System will be held on 21st May 2022 at Manan Kendra, Gangtok.
- Traditional Sowa-Rigpa practitioners from all over India along with North-Eastern states will participate in the workshop to be held in Gangtok.
- The core principle of Sowa-Rigpa can be described in terms of the following five points:
- the body as a foundation for healing in a disease
- repulsive, i.e., healing
- Method of treatment by means of repellants
- medicine that treats disease
- Materia Medica, Pharmacy and Pharmacology
What is Sowa-Rigpa?
Status Report of Inequality in India
why in News:
- The report 'State of Inequality in India' has been released by the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM).
- The report presents information by providing a comprehensive analysis of the various ecosystems of inequality in the country, which have a direct impact on the well-being and overall development of the population.
- The report is divided into two sections, covering key areas such as income distribution, labor market dynamics, health, education and household characteristics.
- According to the Inequality Status report, India's rural areas have a 44.4% higher wealth concentration compared to only 7.1% in urban areas.
- With respect to the unemployment rate, the report shows that India's unemployment rate for the year 2019 - 2020 is 4.8% while the labor population ratio in India is 46.8%.
- The report shows that as per the National Family Health Survey-5 (2019-21), 97% of households have been provided with electricity, while 70% of the citizens have access to better sanitation services and 96% of the citizens. , Safe drinking water is successfully available.
Inauguration of International Seminar on 'Review of Thoughts of India from Swaraj to New India'
Why in News:
- An international seminar on 'Review of India's Thoughts from Swaraj to Nav-India' was inaugurated by the Union Home and Cooperation Minister Shri Amit Shah in New Delhi and organized by the University of Delhi.
- This three-day symposium has been organized by the Political Science Department of the University to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the University of Delhi.
- This function has been celebrated to commemorate the completion of 100 years of the establishment of Delhi University.
- The main objective of the symposium 'Review of India's Ideas from Swaraj to Nav-India' is to train the youth of the country about Indian innovation.
Important News: State
41st "Hunar Haat", Celebrations
Why in News:
- The 41st "Hunar Haat", "Kaushal Kuber Ke Kumbh" ceremony was formally inaugurated by the Union Minister for Minority Affairs, Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
- 41st "Hunar Haat", "Kumbh of Kaushal Kuber" is being organized from May 18 to 29, 2022 at Shilpgram, Tajganj, Agra.
- More than 800 artisans and craftsmen from 32 states and union territories of the country will participate in the 12-day "Hunar Haat".
- "Hunar Haat" is an initiative launched as a "credible" platform to strengthen Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi's call of "Vocal for Local" and "Atmanirbhar Bharat".
- "Hunar Haat" also plays an important role in "Preservation, Preservation, Promotion" of the age-old rich heritage of arts and crafts of the country.
What is "Hunar Haat"?
In the current global competition, the concept of Hunar Haat is an initiative presented to support the traditional artisans and craftsmen, to protect and promote the ancestral heritage of the country's arts and crafts.
Hunar Haat exhibition features selected artisans whose ancestors were involved in such traditional handmade works and are still engaged in this profession.
Source: Indian Express
Important News: Economy
7th Annual Meeting of Board of Governors of New Development Bank
Why in News:
- The 7th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of New Development Bank was chaired by the Finance Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman through video conference in New Delhi.
- Governors/alternative governors of Brazil, China, Russia, South Africa and new members from Bangladesh and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) also attended the 7th Annual Meeting.
- This year's theme for the 7th Annual Meeting of the Board of Governors of the New Development Bank is "NDB: Optimizing the Development Impact".
- In this meeting it was announced by Nirmala Sitharaman that India's economic growth is estimated to be 8.9 percent in the current financial year, which is the highest among all major economies.
- The main objective of the New Development Bank is to successfully establish itself as a credible development partner for emerging market economies.
What is New Development Bank?
The New Development Bank is a multilateral development bank, established by the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) in 2014 with the objective of mobilizing resources for infrastructure and sustainable development projects in BRICS as well as other EMDCs. was done.
The New Development Bank was operationalized in 2015.
The headquarter of New Development Bank is located in Shanghai, China.
The New Development Bank has so far approved 21 projects in India for an amount of $7.1 billion.
Important News: Sports
Indian boxer Nikhat Zareen won the gold medal in the World Boxing Championship
Why in News:
- Indian boxer Nikhat Zareen has won the gold medal in the flyweight (52kg) category of the Women's World Championships in Istanbul.
- After winning this title, Nikhat Zareen has become the 5th Indian female boxer from India to become the world champion.
- Indian boxer Nikhat Zareen has won the title by defeating Thailand's Jitpong Jutamus 5-0.
- Earlier Nikhat Zareen became the first Indian woman boxer to win two gold medals at the prestigious Strandja Memorial in February.
- Prior to Nikhat Zareen, MC Mary Kom, Sarita Devi, Jenny RL and Lekha KC have won gold medals for India in women's boxing.
Source: All India Radio
World Bee Day
- May 20 is celebrated every year as World Bee Day.
- The theme for this year's World Bee Day is "Bee engaged: Build Back Better for Bees".
- On the occasion of World Bee Day this year, a large national program has been organized in Gujarat by the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, whose main objective is to promote beekeeping and bring maximum benefits to the small farmers of the country.
- Honey Testing Lab and Processing Unit set up at Pulwama, Bandipora and Jammu in Jammu and Kashmir, Tumkur in Karnataka, Saharanpur and Pune in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand by Union Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar in a conference organized on the occasion of World Bee Day. Virtual opening.
- Anton Jansa, the pioneer of beekeeping, was also born on 20 May 1734.
- After the proposal of Slovenia, in the year 2017, the United Nations declared 20 May as World Bee Day.
National Endangered Species Day
- National Endangered Species Day is observed every year on the third Friday of May to highlight the growing need to protect endangered species across the world.
- The theme of National Endangered Species Day 2022 is "Recovering key species for ecosystem restoration".
- The National Endangered Species Day initiative was launched in 2006 by David Robinson and the Endangered Species Coalition and established by the US Senate, the historic National Endangered Species Day came into existence in 2006.
- The main objective of this initiative is to raise awareness about the need to take action to protect and protect endangered species, their habitats.
Source: ENDANGERED SPECIES COALITION