Probability and Statistics is an important mathematical topic to be covered for various exams. Probability and Statistics questions for CAT form a major part of the quantitative aptitude section. The questions from this topic test the logical thinking of the student for uncertainty and datasets as variables. Probability and Statistics test questions require both logic and mathematical knowledge to be solved. The questions are derived from fundamental concepts of numerical data sets, finding randomness (uncertainty) of any given data, and then forming a functional relationship between them. These concepts were taught at the higher secondary level and are the basics of Probability and Statistics. Questions seem easy, but they aren’t. They need rigorous calculation and application of theorems. There are various Probability and Statistics tricks and tips to solve Probability and Statistics questions for CAT.
Important Probability and Statistics Topics
Some of the important Probability and Statistics topics that are covered in the CAT exam are conveniently divided into two sections.
The chance of occurrence of any event from the given set of all favorable outcomes is probability. Probability uses various theorems like Bayes theorem, Cauchy theorem, central limit theorem and more.
Statistics is a numerical study of collecting large amounts of data and inferring results from them. There are many theorems, including the central limit theorem, LLN, Cauchy series, and different techniques like regression, segregation, and validation.
Tips to Solve Numerical System Questions
- Read the different types of statistics theorem, including the central limit theorem, LLN, Cauchy representation, mean, median, and mode. These classifications can help you eradicate some of the available question options.
- The central limit theorem questions test your data interpretation and mathematical skills. You should check for different statistics theorems that can be applied to that particular question.
- Be familiar with the series like Taylor series, Cauchy series, infinite series as they are used to frame statistical questions.
- Read Probability and Statistics study materials, notes to check various question patterns and their solution strategies.
Importance of Probability and Statistics in Quantitative Section of CAT exams
- CAT/ GATE exams focus on the logical and problem-solving ability of the students. Hence, probability and statistics are a hot topic for these exams.
- Probability and Statistics questions and answers focus on the analytical ability part of the assessment. They need the students to apply their mathematics and data visualization part simultaneously to arrive at the answer.
- Probability and Statistics will be required during the MBA Course as well for various case studies. It will find its application in daily use for convenience.
Most Recommended Books for Probability and Statistics
Here are a few books that will be helpful for your preparation for CAT Exam.
‘How to Prepare for the Cat Common Admission Test’
Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay
Statistical Methods (Volume 1 & 2)
Why Prepare Probability & Statistics from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
Gradeup is an established education platform that provides quality education for high-level tests and entrance exams. You can get all the preparatory materials like Probability and Statistics questions and answers pdf, Probability and Statistics problems with solutions, Probability and Statistics questions and solutions from the BYJU'S Exam Prep website. You must practice Probability and Statistics practice questions before going for the final CAT exam as it will help you in accessing your weakness. To get familiar with the exam, you can take the Probability and Statistics quiz from our website. To prepare you well for the exams, our experienced educators have prepared Probability and Statistics notes for the students. It will help you in revising the Probability and Statistics topics in a short time.
1. What is Probability and Statistics?
Probability is the study of randomness or uncertainty of any event. Statistics is the interpretation of huge chunks of data to infer any possible functions.
2. Is Probability and Statistics an important topic in CAT exams?
Yes, Probability and Statistics helps in accessing the analytical and mathematical capabilities of the student. It is an integral part of the CAT syllabus.
3. Where can I prepare for Probability and Statistics?
There are many good ed-tech sites, including BYJU'S Exam Prep, where you can prepare for the topic. They provide definitions with Probability & Statistics examples for better understanding.
4. Is Probability and Statistics an easy topic?
Probability and Statistics need heavy mathematical and interpretational capabilities. It is a lengthy CAT topic that comes in the exam. You can easily prepare for this topic from various online sites.
5. Why is the central limit theorem important for Probability and Statistics?
The properly normalized sum of any additionally added variable in the given set of data tends toward a normal distribution in space. You can make a graph to understand the deviation of the tending sum. It covers an important topic of statistics and comes in the exam frequently.