Sagar Parikrama is an initiative launched by the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying. It involves an organised navigation journey along a designated sea route involving India's coastal areas, along with an interaction program with fishing communities. Phase I of the program began on March 5th, 2022.
The purpose of the initiative is to demonstrate solidarity with fisher folk, fish farmers and other stakeholders while promoting a balance between the use of fisheries as a resource and protecting marine ecosystems.
What is Sagar Parikrama Initiative?
Sagar Parikrama is an initiative that provides for organising a navigation journey that will take place along a pre-determined sea route. The route will traverse all the coastal states and Union Territories.
Aims of Sagar Parikrama Initiative
The aims of Sagar Parikrama are as follows:
- It aims to enable interaction with fishermen, coastal communities and stakeholders to spread awareness about government schemes and programs related to fisheries
- It aims to demonstrate solidarity with fishing peoples
- It aims to promote responsible fishing with a focus on sustainably balancing key considerations
- These key considerations include the use of marine resources for food security, the livelihoods of coastal fishing communities, and the protection of marine ecology
- Sagar Parikrama also aims to help in resolving economic issues faced by the fishing communities by exposing them to government schemes and programs for fisheries
Key Facts About Sagar Parikrama Initiative
- It marks the occasion of the 75th Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava celebrating the nation's freedom fighters, sailors and fishers.
- The sea journey will take place across the states of Gujarat, Diu, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep Islands
- The program began with Phase I on March 5, 2022, in Mandvi, Gujarat and Phase-I ended in Porbandar, Gujarat on March 6, 2022
- The government will organise an interaction program with fishing communities and stakeholders in the concerned locations and districts
- As a part of the programme, certificates will be awarded to progressive fishermen, especially coastal fishermen, fishers and fish farmers, young fishery entrepreneurs etc., under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampadha scheme, Kisan Credit Card, and state schemes
Benefits of Sagar Parikrama Initiative
The potential benefits of the Sagar Parikrama initiative are as follows:
- The program will be a way to showcase best practices that may be adopted by fishermen and fishing communities
- The program will help share awareness to the fishermen, fishing communities and stakeholders in coastal areas about helpful government schemes and programs
Sagar Parikrama Features
These government schemes and programs include:
- Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) - a flagship scheme, which plans to invest the highest ever estimated amount of Rs.20,050 crore in the fisheries sector,
- Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) - a fund of Rs. 7522.48 crore to extend concessional finance to certain eligible entities
- The Kisan Credit Card (KCC) - is a credit facility that has been extended to fishers and fish farmers
India has a vast coastline that provides a livelihood to millions of fishermen and coastal communities. On the one hand, there is a need to follow sustainable fishing practices to preserve fishing resources and the marine ecosystem. On the other hand, there is a need to integrate the livelihoods of fisherfolk and coastal communities as well as general food security needs. The Sagar Parikrama initiative is a marked effort to demonstrate the importance of these issues and reach out to the fishing communities.
FAQs on Sagar Parikrama
Q.1. What is the Sagar Parikrama initiative?
Sagar Parikrama is an initiative by the government to organise a navigation journey along a designated sea route involving India's coastal areas, to demonstrate solidarity with fisherfolk and fishing communities.
Q.2. Which Ministry launched the Sagar Parikrama initiative?
The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying launched the Sagar Parikrama initiative.
Q.3. Which national occasion does the Sagar Parikrama mark?
The Sagar Parikrama marks the 75th Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava, celebrating the nation's freedom fighters, sailors and fishers.
Q.4. Where did Phase I of the Sagar Parikrama begin?
Phase I of the Sagar Parikrama began in Mandvi, Gujarat.
Q.5. Where did Phase I of the Sagar Parikrama end?
Phase I of the Sagar Parikrama ended in Porbandar, Gujarat.