Indian Army Day is been celebrated annually at all headquarters of the Army Command to honour the Indian soldiers. These brave men set the most outstanding example of selfless service and brotherhood, and above all, undying love for their country.
Indian Army Day is celebrated on January 15 every year. The Indian Army is one of the most powerful troops in the world, competing with superpowers such as the United States, Russia, and China.
Indian Army Day Date and History
On January 15 1949, the Indian Army welcomed Lieutenant KM Cariappa, the first Army staff member. General (later Field Marshall) KM Cariappa was appointed General Commander of the Indian Army on this day.
- He was the first Indian to be appointed Commander-in-Chief. He took charge of the chair from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British commander of India.
- He propagated the slogan 'Jai Hindi', which means 'Victory of India'.
- He also held a five-star rank as a Field Marshall.
- The second is the Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw.
- Cariappa led Indian troops on the Western Front during the 1947 war between India and Pakistan.
Happy Indian Army Day 2021
India celebrated the 73rd Army Day on January 15 2021, honouring selfless service and brotherhood and, most importantly, the soldiers who set a great example of love for the country.
In commemorating the 73rd Indian Army Day, the Indian Army hosted the Vijay Run Marathon to celebrate India's overwhelming 1971 victory over Pakistan—Swarnim Vijay Varsh.
Indian Army Day 2022 Theme and Details
The Indian Army 2022 theme was "In Stride with the Future", which is a declaration of the increasingly integral role played by niche and disruptive technologies in modern war.
- The Indian Army faces an overload of security challenges, traditional and non-traditional.
- They are examining Artificial Intelligence (AI), 5G, Robotics and Quantum Technology to find creative solutions to such disputes.
- The Army Day celebrations started with the Wreath Laying ceremony at the National War Memorial, where Service Chiefs paid tribute to the Bravehearts.
- The Chief of the Army Staff inspected the Army Day Parade and awarded 15 Sena Medals for individual acts of bravery for their admirable performance.
- The parade included International Sports awardees and seven marching delegations, including scaled horse cavalry. Hariharan sang a song, 'Maati', dedicated to the nation and Army.
Importance of Indian Army Day
- It reminds us of the dynamic process of independence.
India gained independence in 1947, but the Army was not officially handed over to the Indian Army until 1949, two years later. It reminds us that freedom was not achieved in a day and was part of a long process.
- Can pay homage to the military leaders of the country
Indian military leaders bravely fought wars along the border, keeping the country unchanged. Field Marshall Cariappa maintained a unique position after retirement because of his outstanding leadership and service in the post-independence Kashmir territorial war.
- An opportunity to learn about the Army
Even before independence, the Indian Army had a rich history of contributing to international war and security issues. A wealth of educational material is available in various online and offline formats.
How Can We Celebrate Indian Army Day?
The Indian Army holds a military parade at the Cariappa Parade Ground in Delhi Cantonment and presents gallantry awards. The ceremony is broadcast live on the public TV channel Doordarshan, YouTube, and Twitter.
- Understand India's contribution to the World Wars.
Several highly acclaimed books have recently got published covering the neglected details of Indian military involvement in the World Wars. One such book is India's War: World War II and the Making of Modern South Asia, written by Srinath Raghavan. Another is Farthest Field: An Indian Story of the Second World War, authored by Raghu Karnad.
- Read about Indian military history.
There is much to discover about India's long military history and its development across civilizations, dynasties, and conquests. Choose your favourite or least familiar time in Indian history and explore that era's political and military history.
Additional Events on Army Day
Apart from Indian army day on 15 January, few important events occurred between 1929 till 1998. Have a look at them below.
Other Events on 15 January
Martin Luther King, Jr. was born; he emerged as an American civil rights activist and Nobel laureate.
Bombay got changed to Mumbai.
Death of current Prime Minister Gulzari Lal Nanda.
Indian Army Day Status and Messages
Below are Army day wishes and messages you can put on your social media channels or spread among your friends and family to make them realize the day's importance.
- Let us unite to celebrate National Army Day to honour our brave soldiers who are the reason behind our pride and smiles. Happy Army Day 2022!
- Let us commemorate Army Day by saluting the army forces for their patriotism, bravery, and dedication.
- Give a salute to our Soldiers on Army Day, and say I am proud to be an Indian.
Quotes for Indian Army Day 2022
It is vital to comprehend Indian Army Day's history and relevance before spreading its awareness. Below are some of the Indian army date quotes proposed by the top renowned personalities.
- "There will be no escape without registered orders, and these orders shall never be published." - Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.
- "We fight to win and succeed with a knockout because there are no runners up in war" -General JJ Singh.
- "I shall not remove an inch but will battle to our last man and our last round." - Major Somnath Sharma.
- "Some dreams are so worthy, it's magnificent even to fail." - Captain Manoj Kumar Pandey.
- "If an individual says he is not scared of dying, he is either lying or is a Gurkha." - Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw.
FAQs on Indian Army Day
When is Indian Army Day celebrated, and what is the Indian Army's motto?
Indian Army day is celebrated on 15 January. The Indian Army's motto is 'serving before self', and its mission is to protect the country from external attacks and internal threats, ensure national security and unity, and maintain peace and security within the border.
When did Army Day start in India?
First Indian Army Day was Celebrated on 15 January 1949. It was when the Indian Army welcomed Lieutenant KM Cariappa, the first Army staff member.
Is there an International Army Day?
Many countries commemorate troops and army forces on special occasions, but there is no record of a day or date celebrated as International Army Day.
Who started Indian Army Day?
Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every time in India in recognition of Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa's (also a Lieutenant General) taking over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Francis Roy Bucher on 15 January 1949.
Why is Indian Army Day celebrated?
Indian army day is marked every year on 15 January to remember the event when General KM Cariappa became the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of Independent India. He took control over the Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief, in 1949.
Which edition of Army Day in 2022?
On 15 January 2022, India celebrated the 74th Indian Army Day.
How long is Indian Army Day?
Each year on this day, the Army's soldiers are praised, who have served the nation selflessly and set the most splendid illustration of brotherhood. 15 January is commemorated at all Army Command Headquarters.