Indian Postal Day is celebrated on 10th October every year in India. It is an extended celebration of World Post Day, which is observed on 9th October every year. This day commemorates the service of the India Post, which is the most widely functioning government postal service in the world. Indian Postal Day is also celebrated to honor the pivotal role of the national postal service in our lives.
India Post was first established in 1854 by Lord Dalhousie and was one of the first revolutionary steps towards improved communication in India. Indian Postal Day is a day to express gratitude and raise awareness about the role played by the postal service in India. Read further to learn more about Indian Postal Day in detail.
National Postal Day
National Postal Day, or Indian Postal Day, is celebrated to generate awareness about the Indian postal system's role on a national level. Our life has become faster and easier with technology, and we can connect with people easily, irrespective of how distant they are from us. However, a few decades ago, this was a distant dream, and the sole mode of communication was through the post. National Postal Day is observed to pay tribute to those involved in the Indian postal service.
Although the world has gone digital, people still rely on postal services for various purposes. Indian Post Day is a way to honor the continuous effort made by the India Post to connect people.
National Postal Day
National Postal Day or Indian Postal Day
10th October every year
Indian Postal Day Theme 2022
"Post for Planet"
Latest News About Post Office Day
- Postal India praised Gold Medal Winner Shri Neeraj Chopra by installing a customized letterbox in his hometown of Khandra in Panipat.
- India Post released a stamp on First Anti Satellite Missile in 2020.
- Narendra Modi, Prime Minister, launched India's Post Payments Bank (IPPB) for the convenience of postal banking services in 2018.
- In 2022, India Post in Pune released a unique cover to celebrate Tanaji Malusare.
Indian Post Day vs World Post Day
More than 150 nations worldwide celebrate their postal day annually in numerous ways. Indian Post Day and World Post Day are two separate events, and the distinction between them are discussed below:
World Post Day
Indian Post Day
It is celebrated on a global level.
It is celebrated on a national level.
It marks the anniversary day of the Universal Postal Union (UPU), which started in Switzerland in 1874.
It commemorates the service of the national postal organization, India Post, which was first established in 1854
World Post Day is a one-day celebration.
Indian Postal Day is a part of a week-long celebration, from 9th October to 16th October.
In some countries, it is observed as a holiday. Special recognition or rewards are also offered to the employees of post offices.
In India, several events are held to honor the post office employees, and innovative ideas for the welfare of the India Post are also shared.
Indian Postal Service
The Indian Postal Service is the government-owned postal system that operates pan-India. With 1,54,965 post offices in total, it is an integral part of the communication services in India. The service of the India Post is honored by the National Postal Day, which is observed on 10th October every year. Here are some facts about the Indian Postal Service:
- It operates under the Department of Post, Ministry of Communications.
- There are a total of 1,54,965 post offices in India as on March 2017.
- There are 23 postal circles in India, each headed by a Chief Postmaster General.
- Despite the diversity in traditional cultures and the varying rugged geographical terrain, the Indian postal service manages to do its job diligently.
PIN Code System in India
Indian Postal Day celebrates the role of the postal department of India. The primary component in postal services is PIN which stands for Postal Index Number. Find some interesting facts about the PIN system of the India Post below:
- Shriram Bhikaji Velankar, additional secretary in the Union Ministry of Communications, presented the 6-digit PIN system on 15th August 1972.
- The PIN's first digit indicates the region.
- Second digit indicates sub-region.
- Third digit signifies the district.
- Last three PIN digits demonstrate the code of the post office under which a respective address falls.
National Postal Week
In India, National Postal Day is considered part of a week-long celebration. Every year, 9th October to 15th October is observed as National Postal Week. Find all the details about it in the table below:
World Post Day
Postal Life Insurance Day
Business Development Day
Significance of Indian Postal Day
- The purpose of Indian Postal Day is to highlight the importance of postal services in India.
- It is celebrated to commemorate the service of the India Post, which is a government postal service organization.
- Postal employees risked their lives to deliver packages without delay, even during the country's pandemic situation.
- During the widespread disease in the country, these services were the only way to transport medicines, Covid-19 testing kits, and medical parcels to every vulnerable region.
- Indian Postal Day praises the dedication of postal workers who deliver mail and parcels to the doorstep in all types of conditions.
How to Celebrate National Post Day 2022?
Many activities are performed on Indian Postal Day to recognize the efforts of postal workers, including rallies, marches, and surveillance. Here are some ways in which you can celebrate this day:
- You can visit your post office and describe how much you respect their work.
- Citizens can send a letter to their local politicians thanking them for supporting the postal service.
- People can also sign up to receive postal worker newsletters and reports.
FAQs on Indian Postal Day
Q1. What is Indian Postal Day?
Indian Postal Day, or National Postal Day, is a day on which we celebrate the efforts of the Indian postal service providers. On this day, we also spread awareness about the role of the India Post, the challenges of their job, and highlight the importance of postal services worldwide.
Q2. When is Indian Postal Day celebrated?
Indian Postal day is celebrated on 10th October every year. It follows World Post Day, which is celebrated on 9th October annually. National Post Day aims to convey appreciation for the devotion of postal employees towards their service.
Q3. What will be the theme of Indian Post Day 2022?
The theme for Indian Postal Day for 2022 would be "Post for Planet." It will mark the importance of postal services offered by workers around the country. Indian Post Day is celebrated on 10th October every year.
Q4. What was the theme of Indian Post Day 2021?
The theme of Indian Post Day 2021 was "Innovate to recover." It was to remember and acknowledge the role of postal services during lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic.