He noted that a single employee couldn't be an expert in every facet of manufacturing. He required that eight people carry out the foreman's responsibilities, and this line of work became known as functional foremanship. This type of work comprised the following roles:
- Instruction Card Clerk: This teacher instructs employees on how to perform their jobs.
- Path Clerk: He was responsible for mentioning the production route.
- Time and Cost Clerk: He was responsible for setting up the time and cost sheet.
- Disciplinarian: He was in charge of upholding order in the plant and in the production area.
- The planning supervisor supervises these four positions.
Write a note on functional foremanship.
Functional foremanship refers to a production system that uses numerous foremen in various and unique functional roles. In the past, a single general manager managed all operations in a factory.