Newspaper Report on: The Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
The newspaper report on the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre is as follows-
- On 13th April, a large crowd had gathered in the enclosed ground of Jallianwala Bagh.
- Most of the people were attending the annual Baisakhi fair on the ground, while few of them were gathered to protest against the new repressive measures launched by the British government.
- At that time, martial law was established by the government in the city. However, most of the people on the ground were from outside the city and were unaware of the martial law imposition.
- General dyer entered the ground and closed all the exit points. He ordered the policemen to open indiscriminate fire on the masses, because of which many innocent people died.
- According to Dyer, his object was to generate a moral effect (feeling of terror) among people with respect to the satyagraha.
- As a result of this, people took to the streets in the north and started attacking the government premises.
- A lot of movements (including the non-cooperation movement) were launched