World Earth Day is observed every year on April 22 across the globe to raise awareness about critical issues that the Earth is facing. It is an international event celebrated around the world to pledge support for environmental protection.
The year 2022 marks the 52nd anniversary of the annual celebrations. The day is observed in 193 nations. Earth Day includes a wide range of events coordinated globally by EARTHDAY.ORG (formerly Earth Day Network).
Earth Day: History and Facts
- Earth Day was first held on April 22, 1970.
- Gaylord Nelson, a US. Senator was the founder of Earth day.
- Prior to this, peace activist John McConnell proposed a day to honour the Earth on March 21, 1970 (first day of spring in the northern hemisphere) in 1969 at a UNESCO Conference in San Francisco.
- Later on, Gaylord Nelson and Denis Hayes renamed the event as “Earth Day".
- On first Earth Day, more than 20 million people poured out on the streets, and it remains the largest single day protest in human history.
- First Earth Day was focused on United States.
- The day was organized at international level and organized events in 141 nations in 1990 by Denis Hayes. This paved the way for the 1992 United Nations Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro.
- President Bill Clinton awarded Senator Nelson the Presidential Medal of Freedom (highest honour given to civilians in the United States) for his role as Earth Day founder.
- In 2009, the United Nations designated April 22 as ‘International Mother Earth Day’.
Earth Day 2022 Theme
The theme for Earth Day 2022 is ‘Invest In our Planet’.
This year's focuses on adopting natural processes and emerging eco-friendly technologies that can restore ecosystems.
Earth Day 2022 features five primary programs:
- The Canopy Project
- Food and Environment
- Climate Literacy
- Global Earth Challenge
- The Great Global CleanUp.
During the week of Earth Day 2022, EARTHDAY.ORG and lead organizers, Education International, Hip Hop Caucus, and Earth Uprising organized three separate parallel climate action summits on climate literacy, environmental justice, and youth-led climate-focused issues.
EARTHDAY.ORG also organized the 2nd-annual Earth Day Live livestream event (April 22, 2022) featuring global activists, international leaders, and influencers. US President Joe Biden Administration organized a Leaders Summit on Climate on Earth Day 2022.
How can we promote Earth Day?
- By Planting a tree
- Following the 5 R's of environment conservation
- Residual management
- Do not throw trash, always dispose of it in the right place
- Say NO to plastics and shift to the reusable materials
- Use Eco-friendly household products
- Turn off light when you leave the room
- Collect the rainwater
- Go paperless
- Shift to E-books
- Add plants to your home, if possible start a small garden
- Start composting the food and green waste
- Organize cleanup events on small scale (Would not recommend this for time being, due to the lockdown)
Concluding the article with a Sanskrit shloka that refers to mother Earth providing unlimited freedom to the mankind.
असंबाधं बध्यतो मानवानां यस्या उद्वतः प्रवतः समं बहु|
नानावीर्या ओषधीर्या बिभर्ति पृथिवी नः प्रथतां राध्यतां नः ||
Meaning in Hindi: वह धरती मॉ जो अपने पर्वत, ढलान और मैदानों के माध्यम से मनुसष्यों तथा समस्त जीवों के लिए निर्बाध स्वतंत्रता (दोनों बाहरी और आंतरिक दोनों) प्रदान करती है। , वह कई पौधों और विभिन्न क्षमता के औषधीय जड़ी बूटी को जनम देती हैह उन्हे परिपोषित करती है ; वह हमें समृद्ध करे और हमें स्वस्थ बनाये.
Meaning in English: She is the earth that provides uninterrupted freedom (both external and internal) to humans and all creatures through its mountains, slopes and plains. She gives birth to many plants and various medicinal herbs of various capacities; She enriches us and makes us healthy.
All the best!