Important Facts about the Mother Teresa
Important Information about the first Indian woman to get the Nobel Prize is provided below. It is mandatory to know all the relevant information about Mother Teresa.
- Mother Teresa was born on August 26, 1910, in Skopje, North Macedonia.
- Her original name is Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu.
- She reached India in 1929 and settled in Darjeeling.
- She left her teaching job to serve the poorest people in the slums of Calcutta city.
- She founded Missionaries of Charity in 1950.
- Missionaries of Charity have branches in 133 countries.
- Mother Teresa is the only Indian female awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979.
- She was called the “mother of the poor”.
- She was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1980.
- Mother Teresa got the Ramon Magsaysay Award for international understanding and peace in 1962.
- Naveen Chawla wrote Mother Teresa’s official biography in 1992.
- Mother Teresa died on 5 September 1997 in Kolkata
Who was the first Indian woman to get the Nobel Prize?
Mother Teresa was the first and only Indian woman who got the Nobel Prize for Peace. Her Charity work through the missionaries of charity gained recognition throughout the world. After her death, She was canonized as Saint Teresa of Kolkata on September 4, 2016.