First Home Minister of India
The first male Home minister of Independent India was Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, also known as the "Iron Man of India" and “Unifier of India”. He served both as a Home Minister as well as the first Deputy Prime Minister of India. He organised a nonviolent civil disobedience movement against the Britishers among peasants in the Kheda, Borsad, and Bardoli places of Gujarat.
- The Statue of Unity is made to honour him in Gujarat.
- The first female Home Minister of India was Smt. Indira Gandhi.
- She was also the country's first female Prime Minister.
- Smt. Indira Gandhi served as the Prime Minister of India from January 1966 to March 1977 and then from January 1980 to October 1984.
- She was the second longest-serving Prime Minister of India after her father, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.