Answer: B- Single slider crank chain
Whitworth quick return mechanism is an inversion of a single slider crank chain.
Single slider crank mechanism:
- A slider-crank is a four-link kinematic chain.
- It contains three turning pairs and one sliding pair.
- The second link, which is referred to as a crank, rotates.
- The third link, often called the connecting rod, combines reciprocating and rotary motion.
- Link 4 is a slider and has reciprocating action.
- A frame is Link 1. (fixed).
- This device converts rotary motion to reciprocating motion and vice versa.
A slider-crank is a four-link kinematic chain having one sliding pair and three turning pairs.
The crank (Link 2) has rotary motion only. The connecting rod (Link 3) has a combined rotary and reciprocating motion. The slider (Link 4) has reciprocating motion only. Slider crank mechanism converts rotary motion to reciprocating and vice versa.
- First inversion: Inversion is obtained by fixing link 1(Ground body).
Application: Reciprocating compressors and engines.
- Second inversion: Inversion is obtained by fixing link 2 (crank).
Application: Rotary engine, Whitworth quick return mechanism.
- Third inversion: Inversion is obtained by fixing link 3 (Connecting rod).
Application: Slotted crank mechanism, Oscillatory engine.
- Fourth inversion: Inversion obtained by fixing link 4 (Slider).
Application: Pendulum pump or Bull engine, A hand pump.
Whitworths quick return mechanism is an inversion of a single slider crank chain in which link 2 (crank) is fixed.
☛ Related Questions:
Commentswrite a comment