Oldest Coal Mine in India - Characteristics
The early mining and exploratory operations were conducted carelessly. Regular mining began in 1820 under the direction of Alexander & Co., an agency. Prince Dwarkanath Tagore acquired the collieries in 1835, and Carr, Tagore, and Company dominated the industry.
- Commercial coal mining has been practised in India for approximately 220 years, beginning in 1774 when M/s Sumner and Heatly of the East India Company started working in the Raniganj Coalfield on the western bank of the river Damodar.
- Different types of elements make up the earth.
- A mineral is an organic and inorganic substance that is found in nature.
- It has physical characteristics, a well-defined chemical content, and an ordered atomic structure.
- It consists of two or more components.
- Single-element minerals include substances like sulphur, copper, silver, gold, graphite, etc.
Which is the oldest coal mine in India?
Raniganj is home to India's oldest coal mine. It was first mined in 1774. Raniganj coalfields served as the nation's primary coal producer during the entirety of the 19th century and a significant portion of the 20th century.