Reason for Controversies between Anglicists and Classicists
The following factors were the key causes of the controversy:
- There were disagreements and conflicts regarding the organizations arranging the schools and colleges.
- There were also three viewpoints on the preferred teaching method.
- According to the first viewpoint, Sanskrit and Arabic should be used as teaching languages to further western sciences and knowledge.
- The Indian population was divided over educational methods as well.
- Regarding the methodology, it was divided into two perspectives.
- The initial viewpoint was that education always spread from the highest sections of society to the general populace.
- The phrase "Downwards Filtration Theory" applied to it.
- The opposing viewpoint thought that the business should be in charge of teaching the general public.
What were the main reasons for the Anglicist and classicist controversy?
The main reason for the Anglicist and classicist controversy was disagreement over the education native Indians should receive.